Red Foots Eye Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

zgoldsmith23

5 Year Member
Hey guys, I have a baby RF and have had him for about 3-4 months. He's doing great, eating, active, etc. He gets a bath 3x weekly. He eats a main diet of turnip greens (no dandelions yet :( ) with a biweekly piece of squash and a weekly piece of mango or other fruit. He gets calcium and vitamin supplementation accordingly. Temps are great and UVB is provided. Humidity is kept high on coco/moss mix.

Anyway, over the past week or so, I've noticed he doesn't want to open his right eye. Why is this? His left eye is a gorgeous black and is very alert. Took him to vet and he told me he could find nothing wrong. I've had this happen with my last sulcata but she was sluggish, not eating, and it was in both eyes. Like I said, this guy is fine except for this eye. I wanted input from you guys!

I appreciate it!!

ZG

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
Is your vet familiar with reptiles? If not, I would try a different vet that is. I'm not familiar with this problem, but if it persists I think you should seek some other professional help. Maybe posting a picture on here will help people give you some answers?

zgoldsmith23

5 Year Member
DoctorCosmonaut said:
Is your vet familiar with reptiles? If not, I would try a different vet that is. I'm not familiar with this problem, but if it persists I think you should seek some other professional help. Maybe posting a picture on here will help people give you some answers?

Thanks. Yes, my vet is a reptile/exotic vet. He keeps quite a few torts of his own.

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Arlington TX.
There could be the possibility that he has a piece of substrate, or sand caught in his eye, or he could have scraped it on something. Does it look inflamed? You might get some aqua tears and keep that eye lubricated twice a day or so. Maybe that will help flush it out if that's what it is. Humidity, heat, and bright lights could be a factor as well. Check out his enclosure for anything that might be eye level or sharp. I doubt it's a humidity issue since you already stated that you keep it fairly high. Try the eye flush and see if that helps. If not, then I'd get a second opinion if I were you. Good luck!

-Matt

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
I've seen tort eyed rops at places like petco... Haven't read the bottle, or ever really heard of anyone using them (so I don't know if they work)... But its a thought? Maybe it will help flush whatever is in there (if anything is) out.

Anyone ever used tort eye drops?

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
First.. as a second opinion/experience with redfoots almost exclusively! Make sure your husbandry for your redfoot is completely and totally different than your sulcata!!! ( see redfootcare link in signature ) In this case it sounds like your Vet is right. - keeping herps/torts does not make one redfoot experienced -

And to answer Jordan and elaborate on Matt.. unless obvious irritation I wouldn't put any kind of chemical on or in any of my redfoots! And that includes baths and vitamin supplements.

FWIW...

Terry K

zgoldsmith23

5 Year Member
Thanks for the replies guys.

Husbandry is different than sulcata...MUCH different. Lower temps, higher humidity, more baths, separate foods,etc.

It doesn't look inflamed. I was thinkin maybe a piece of substrate got in there but how would I get it out? There looks like a thin white layer around the outside of the eye but it could be calcium (he gets REALLY into his food).

My vet is a 18 year veteran in reptile treatment. He's the best we got in this area. There's a lack of reptile vets in this area and even fewer tort-knowledgable vets.

Thanks again!!

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
Do iPhones not have cameras? Maybe post about this problem in the general topic section, that way more people might see it. Things in a torts eye are probably pretty universal, and don't require the responder to be a red foot owner. (I'm sure somone else had a problem with their torts eye)

You can ask the mods to move it if you want?

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Arlington TX.
DoctorCosmonaut said:
Do iPhones not have cameras? Maybe post about this problem in the general topic section, that way more people might see it. Things in a torts eye are probably pretty universal, and don't require the responder to be a red foot owner. (I'm sure somone else had a problem with their torts eye)

You can ask the mods to move it if you want?

I think what he means is, he's not to where he can take a picture at the moment.

fifthdawn

5 Year Member
This is a pretty simple question...but have you tried wetting the eye? Like put a drop of warm water on it?

M

Maggie Cummings

I would take a syringe without the needle and fill it with sterile water then flush the eye out; depending on the size of the syringe it might need to be filled more then once. Whatever...I would flush the eye out really good like I said with sterile water, then I would put Terramycin eye ointment in. I would do that 3 times a day. That eye ointment is a wonder drug in my opinion. I have been using it for a lot of years and my sister's been using it for over 30 years. It works and it does a great job. I would mostly never contradict Redfoot Nerd in the care of Redfoot tortoises...but I know about eye problems and I wouldn't hesitate to put this ointment in a Redfoots eye.

zgoldsmith23

5 Year Member
I don't use a coil bulb. I use fluorescent tubes.

I'll work on trying to get a picture tonight.

Maggie, where could I get that medication?

Thanks!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I buy it at the feed store (cattle/horse/livestock feed), but you can get it from a vet too. (or online)

eyeointment.jpg

Neohippy

5 Year Member
Red Deer, AB
I've had my smallest tort for 12 months now, and funny enough, his right eye will not open either. It was closed when I purchased him, and has remained that way ever since. Left eye is fine, but right eye still closed.
He had a rough start to life, but has always been happy and healthy here, eats like a champ and explores a whole lot more than a young tort is apparently supposed to. I'm starting to think having half the vision, means half the threat, and thus, half the fear.

If vets, creams, goo's, moisteners, and cutting torches don't work, then at least rest easy knowing they are more than capable at living a happy healthy life regardless. They just seem to favour left turns with right eye problems :p

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Sorry to be off-topic here, but I LOVE your big-eyed doggie avatar! :D

Cooper makes a great portrait subject. ;)

M

Maggie Cummings

zgoldsmith23 said:
I don't use a coil bulb. I use fluorescent tubes.

I'll work on trying to get a picture tonight.

Maggie, where could I get that medication?

Thanks!!

You can get it in many places on line, or at your local feed store...if you're in the States just Google it and you'll have numerous options...

Status
Not open for further replies.