Red Foot Recycling?

Randi

Location (City and/or State)
Canada
I have a Cherry Head. She weighs in at 54 grams. I have noticed that she eats her own feces? She's fed well, and eats constantly. Is this something that should cause me concern and has anyone else had their tortoises do the same?

1412827796328.jpg

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Yes they eat their poop all the time . You have to say on top of it . Thats one reason to soak your tort because they almost always poop.

Randi

Canada
When I got her in July, she always pooped in her bath. She rarely poops in her bath now. She gets a bath every morning, a bath when I get home from work and one before bed. If she poops in her bath, I wash her off and continue the bath in clean water.
I spot clean the poop in her tank every morning and night so it never sits around. She pooped after her bath the other day and started to eat it even though there was food in front of her face, haha. I had to get a q-tip with water to clean the poop off her face. Should I deworm her at all?

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Yep, dirty little mofo's

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
0.0.1 Cherryhead Redfoot (Bruce Wayne)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)

Randi

Canada
Thanks for your replies. I was a little concerned that it would mean something was wrong with her but I guess it's just a thing they do. Haha.

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
Nah.. nothing wrong. They're just absorbing more nutrients the second time around. Efficient but gross little buggers.

Randi

Canada
So I'm assuming when my Reeves turtle does it very rarely, he's just helping himself to a little extra as well? :p