Red Foot Not Eating

Michalla

My Red Foot Charlie doesn't seem to be eating to much this week, is this unusual or should I not be worried... He's ate a bit but not much in comparison to the last couple weeks that I've had him.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
My Red Foot Charlie doesn't seem to be eating to much this week, is this unusual or should I not be worried... He's ate a bit but not much in comparison to the last couple weeks that I've had him.
Hi and welcome.

We need to know what sort of size this Tortoise is and what the enclosure is like before giving advice. Can you post photos of both please so we can help.

Michalla

Hi and welcome.

We need to know what sort of size this Tortoise is and what the enclosure is like before giving advice. Can you post photos of both please so we can help.

He's just a little guy about 3 inches.

Attachments

• Charlie!.jpg
    Charlie!.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 37
  • Charlie's New Home.jpg
    Charlie's New Home.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 43
  • Charlie's New Home2.jpg
    Charlie's New Home2.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 38
  • Charlie's New Home3.jpg
    Charlie's New Home3.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 38

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Ok, you've fallen into the same trap I fell into when I first started with redfoots. These guys are a tropical species and require an ambient temperature with high humidity.
The best way to achieve this in cold dry climates is to have a closed system enclosure. Yours is an open system(unless you took a lid off for photos).
You are going to have to create a lid for that enclosure, I would make an 'A' type lid for it. Then you will need a 100watt ceramic heat emitter(CHE) on a thermostat set at about 82/86f. You will also need a UVB source to imitate the suns UVB rays. I would get a 15" 5.0 UVB strip light, have thus on a timer to come on for 12/14hrs a day. With this basic set up your ambient heat and humidity will be fine.

Michalla

Ok, you've fallen into the same trap I fell into when I first started with redfoots. These guys are a tropical species and require an ambient temperature with high humidity.
The best way to achieve this in cold dry climates is to have a closed system enclosure. Yours is an open system(unless you took a lid off for photos).
You are going to have to create a lid for that enclosure, I would make an 'A' type lid for it. Then you will need a 100watt ceramic heat emitter(CHE) on a thermostat set at about 82/86f. You will also need a UVB source to imitate the suns UVB rays. I would get a 15" 5.0 UVB strip light, have thus on a timer to come on for 12/14hrs a day. With this basic set up your ambient heat and humidity will be fine.
I do have a lid on it. I just took it off for the picture, I also have a mercury vapour bulb and a normal heat bulb and a night heat bulb that stays on all the time. The temperature sits about 80-85, with some hotter spots and some cooler spots, and gets a little cooler at night. My lid is made out of plexiglass. I also have a humidifier in there to ensure the humidity is able to stay between 80 and 90.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I do have a lid on it. I just took it off for the picture, I also have a mercury vapour bulb and a normal heat bulb and a night heat bulb that stays on all the time. The temperature sits about 80-85, with some hotter spots and some cooler spots, and gets a little cooler at night. My lid is made out of plexiglass. I also have a humidifier in there to ensure the humidity is able to stay between 80 and 90.
Had a feeling you was going to say that.
How long have you had the tort?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I've had him for 20 days
Ok.
Few things
How are you measuring the temps?
Those humidity gauges are useless, you need a digital type for accurate readings.
I would cover half that enclosure with orchid bark to help retain humidity but also provide a dryer surface.
Have you got any moss in the hides?
Have you fed protein lately, when they have had a protein feist they will slow down on eating for a few days.
Also even though your tort is indoors he will act strange as winter kicks in.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Just a side note, put your water dish in the middle away from anything your tort could flip on and land in the water. Where that is your tort could climb and flip off the wall.

Michalla

for the temperature I have two gauges and a IR temp gun so i get a few different readings, for humidity I just have a humidity gauge, but the humidifier is
Ok.
Few things
How are you measuring the temps?
Those humidity gauges are useless, you need a digital type for accurate readings.
I would cover half that enclosure with orchid bark to help retain humidity but also provide a dryer surface.
Have you got any moss in the hides?
Have you fed protein lately, when they have had a protein feist they will slow down on eating for a few days.
Also even though your tort is indoors he will act strange as winter kicks in.
for the temperature I have two gauges and a IR temp gun so i get a few different readings, for humidity I just have a humidity gauge, but the humidifier is on 24/7 and i put probably 1 litre of water into his substrate to maintain moisture. And no i've never fed him protein.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Ok, your not doing anything vastly wrong in my opinion.
My diet is mainly weeds/greens and a bit of fruit or mushroom every day. They get one piece of fruit or mushroom slightly bigger than their head then rest is weeds.
Out of your list I don't feed kale, cucumber, carrots or peas. I also don't give apple to my babies.
For fruit try mango, papaya and plums. They love mushrooms. Can you get weeds.
Your not at the panic stage, probably just slowing up a little, it may be even be because as your feeding regime kicks in he doesn't need the continuous amount you was seeing for the first couple of weeks.

How Often are you pouring 1ltr of water in and I wouldnt have that fogger on 24/7.
All I have is 2 water trays, the evaporation from them keeps humidity up, I never pour water in. I spray my torts twice a day(just the tort not the enclosure)

Daryn Blair

Ok, your not doing anything vastly wrong in my opinion.
My diet is mainly weeds/greens and a bit of fruit or mushroom every day. They get one piece of fruit or mushroom slightly bigger than their head then rest is weeds.
Out of your list I don't feed kale, cucumber, carrots or peas. I also don't give apple to my babies.
For fruit try mango, papaya and plums. They love mushrooms. Can you get weeds.
Your not at the panic stage, probably just slowing up a little, it may be even be because as your feeding regime kicks in he doesn't need the continuous amount you was seeing for the first couple of weeks.

How Often are you pouring 1ltr of water in and I wouldnt have that fogger on 24/7.
All I have is 2 water trays, the evaporation from them keeps humidity up, I never pour water in. I spray my torts twice a day(just the tort not the enclosure)

I noticed you never pour water into the enclosure and rely on evaporation from water dishes but can I ask.. does your substrate not dry out very easily? I was always under the impression they needed a damp but not soaking substrate.. as you know I'm new also.

Cheers

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I noticed you never pour water into the enclosure and rely on evaporation from water dishes but can I ask.. does your substrate not dry out very easily? I was always under the impression they needed a damp but not soaking substrate.. as you know I'm new also.

Cheers
There is lots of keepers that poor water into the corners but I've just never needed too.
I have about 3" of coir, then a mix of Cyprus mulch and orchid bark on the top layer. The hides have a bit of spagnhum moss in them. All was moist when I set the vivarium up(6 months ago). I have 2 water dishes and it seems the evaporation of the water dishes is enough, in fact it's too much. The other day I added more hides and found the lower levels of the coir were too sodden. The only other water I add is when I spray my torts, and that is literally one squirt of the spray bottle on each tort twice a day(in a morning and in the evening).
In my last viv that is now destroyed because of moisture I was spraying the enclosure occasionally, but I also had to empty the substrate out a few times and replace because it was way too wet in the end.
I reckon with the correct temperature there is a certain amount of surface water relative to the enclosure size that will suffice to keep up humidity.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
There is no easy answer that works for everyone.
We all have ways that worked...and stuck with it.
For example, some of us use humidifiers. Some don't.
With my closed chamber enclosure I didn't need a heat source. With my simple 18" florescent u.v. lamp I was able to keep my temps at 78-84 day and night.
Humidity at 85 plus.