Red Foot in Florida - Temp & UVB Requirements

Liggysasha

Location (City and/or State)
Cape Coral
Hi everyone.

I've been using this forum to do a lot of research for my new red foot tortoise. I'm so impressed with how helpful everyone is!

I have a small (less than 4") red foot and I live in South Florida. I'm confused about his heat and light requirements. It seems some people say he needs a heat source and UVB bulb and others say he doesn't (because we're in Florida).

I have him on my screened patio in a tortoise table. Parts of his enclosure get about 5 to 6 hours of sunlight in the afternoons. Temperatures at the moment are dropping into the 60s at night, but high 80s during the day.

Do I need a heat source and UVB bulb? I've also heard UVB bulbs can damage their eyes. What's the best positioning for it. Also CHE or heat pad?

Thanks!!!

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
If it were me I'd get a CHE or a radiant heat panel for the enclosure. Set it on a thermostat and forget it. It will probably only turn on at night when the temps dip a little. As for UVB if you can get your tort outside for natural sunlight just a few hours a week you don't need artificial UVB. The screen on your patio is probably blocking most of the UVB though. You'll need to take him outside.

Liggysasha

Cape Coral
Thanks for the advice. Sounds like a good idea to get a back-up heat source.

Next question - My tortoise table has an enclosed section, is that where I want to heat? How can I do this safely? The enclosed section is about 12 inches tall, so I'm guessing there is not enough space to have hanging CHE.

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
Hi everyone.

I've been using this forum to do a lot of research for my new red foot tortoise. I'm so impressed with how helpful everyone is!

I have a small (less than 4") red foot and I live in South Florida. I'm confused about his heat and light requirements. It seems some people say he needs a heat source and UVB bulb and others say he doesn't (because we're in Florida).

I have him on my screened patio in a tortoise table. Parts of his enclosure get about 5 to 6 hours of sunlight in the afternoons. Temperatures at the moment are dropping into the 60s at night, but high 80s during the day.

Do I need a heat source and UVB bulb? I've also heard UVB bulbs can damage their eyes. What's the best positioning for it. Also CHE or heat pad?

Thanks!!!
i would go with CHE don’t use heat pads. some UVB do damage tortoises eyes but not all of them.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Thanks for the advice. Sounds like a good idea to get a back-up heat source.

Next question - My tortoise table has an enclosed section, is that where I want to heat? How can I do this safely? The enclosed section is about 12 inches tall, so I'm guessing there is not enough space to have hanging CHE.
You could also use a radiant heat panel. In a section 12" tall it would work great.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Screen blocks at least 50% of the UVB. But I'm pretty sure that even that diffused light is sufficient for your Redfoot.
Mine also live outside.
I'm south of you.
Heat can be problematic and shade is essential. Redfoot get uncomfortable above 92ish degrees and will seek out a cooler area, a water pool or shade.
80 to 85 is ideal.
They also dislike bright light. So, again, that diffused light is good.
Your issue will be humidity. But in Cape Coral, this time of year will be humid. Maybe just not humid enough.
I'm not a fan of spraying enclosures with water. But in your situation...In Florida...Outdoors....I think that a good old fashioned spray bottle, sprayed twice a day would work.
60s at night will be ok.
I turn on my night house heating when the temps drop below 55.