Red foot Habitat-

greenjeans

Location (City and/or State)
Seaside
Hello Tortoise Community, I finally built Rosie & Stretch a new larger place to live, these forums helped a lot so I thought Id post some pictures & a little description of there home. Its approx 8' long & 27" wide has acrylic windows one side opens on a slide the other is stationary, it has a pond liner with a drain for washing if needed, when I changed the coir recently as the pictures show it didn't need it, there is a bit of scenery for the girls on both ends a couple heating pads one expensive Kane on a rheostat to control temps, the other a sprouting heat mat that doesn't get that hot, one end has no windows so they have some privacy, a humidity pump & small fans are both on micro timers that allow on off cycle control. Once you get a handle on how it all functions together it does a great job. & as climate in the house varies from season to season its easy to adapt with small adjustments in on/off cycling. they are in plane coco coir, I bought the compressed blocks on amazon soaked overnight in a big black tote & then rinsed & drained, a chip version is getting tested by the girls this time. I'm lucky to live in the Pacific North West where fresh moss is all around me, they also get a regular square foot of fresh clover & dandelion/grass mix. Its so sweet to watch them graze that down. I found them on Craigslist during the pandemic 2020 & they are a great addition to my life.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
That's a lot to take in. But other than the fact that the enclosure looks great..What caught my eye was the moss. It's an impaction hazard. It gets eaten and then doesn't digest.
You can use it as a decorative item. But don't place it where it can get nibbled is my opinion.
Also, about the two tortoises living together...It's not advised to do so.
For now, make sure that each tortoise has it's own hide, sleeping area and feeding station.
Remember that following each other and sleeping together is not affection in tortoises. It's bullying.

greenjeans

Seaside
Thanks for the advice, I have seen many posts debating the moss, these 2 get a good soak/crap every day or so & always do fine. I do feed them separately after soaking they eat well, no moss that I've seen, it does seem that maybe 2 isn't that great one has a much more active personality...she likely is a bully..they came to me as a pair I have thought of trading one for a male...

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Thanks for the advice, I have seen many posts debating the moss, these 2 get a good soak/crap every day or so & always do fine. I do feed them separately after soaking they eat well, no moss that I've seen, it does seem that maybe 2 isn't that great one has a much more active personality...she likely is a bully..they came to me as a pair I have thought of trading one for a male...
Best case scenario is two females. But there will still be a lot of stress.

Worst case scenario is a male and a female. The female will be perused relentlessly.
Two males can get violent as one will want ALL of the enclosure as his territory.

In nature, a tortoise can stake his or her area and intruders can leave. In captivity they can not. And the stress can be very harmful even if it doesn't result in biting. Some species have bloody gruesome battles.
With more than 3 tortoises that agression can get spread out and all of it isnt spent on just one animal. But that cannot be done without a very, very large enclosure. Hundreds of square feet. Almost impossible to even try INDOORS.
It is always best to just keep a solo tortoise.
Pairs are a bad idea. No matter the sex. For any species

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Once you find out that the moss is bad and been eaten, it likely will be too late. Instead of playing the Russian roulette game with them, take the advice from the experienced and remove the moss and separate them, specially seeing you mentioned one is likely a bully.

greenjeans

Seaside
Nah..i have to say the moss is not dangerous to them after 2 years I can tell there not only surviving but thriving, i would suspect in there natural environment moss exists & yet they survive...go figure..and you know one of them is a male & I have seen & heard them doing it...at that point i was concerned he may harass her but there habitat gives her space to go...they stopped having sex & got back to hanging out separately & together sometimes, now i understand there's a lot of experience here but i also believe what i see more than what im told...maybe not all torts are exactly alike...Im sure looking for eggs when i do the total coco coir change out, baby redfoots would be cool!

pawsplus

Nashville, TN
In nature, a tortoise can stake his or her area and intruders can leave. In captivity they can not. And the stress can be very harmful even if it doesn't result in biting. Some species have bloody gruesome battles.
With more than 3 tortoises that agression can get spread out and all of it isnt spent on just one animal. But that cannot be done without a very, very large enclosure. Hundreds of square feet. Almost impossible to even try INDOORS.
It is always best to just keep a solo tortoise.
Pairs are a bad idea. No matter the sex. For any species
I completely agree with all this. But I run into a lot of people who claim that redfoots are "different" and that they are "naturally more communal." This may be based on the fact the large numbers of redfoots have been found in the wild in abandoned armadillo burrows--but of course they can always leave and get away, which is not the case in most captive environments. I know you keep a number of females together. What do you think of this claim that RFs are more communal?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I completely agree with all this. But I run into a lot of people who claim that redfoots are "different" and that they are "naturally more communal." This may be based on the fact the large numbers of redfoots have been found in the wild in abandoned armadillo burrows--but of course they can always leave and get away, which is not the case in most captive environments. I know you keep a number of females together. What do you think of this claim that RFs are more communal?
They ARE. But I generally don't mention that fact. In my own experience, females and juveniles get along most of the time. But I've also had plenty of individuals that DID NOT COOPERATE. So, It would be irresponsible of me to just agree in general.
Even Redfoot need to be kept alone or in groups.
That's still my standard reply.

pawsplus

Nashville, TN
They ARE. But I generally don't mention that fact. In my own experience, females and juveniles get along most of the time. But I've also had plenty of individuals that DID NOT COOPERATE. So, It would be irresponsible of me to just agree in general.
Even Redfoot need to be kept alone or in groups.
That's still my standard reply.
Makes sense! Thanks!