Red foot care and food

Big Ol Tortoise

Location (City and/or State)
pflugerville Tx
Hello everyone, I'm going to be getting a red foot soon. (possibly a cherry head) The videos I've watched and articles I've read help, but not a lot. So if anyone could tell me good foods to plant, the best way to care for them that would be super appreciated!

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I feed my redfoot lots of turnip greens, dandelion greens, mango, papaya, pineapple as a base. For variety I throw in strawberries, spring mix, mushrooms, sweet red peppers, zucchini, yellow squash, chopped apple, etc. A couple times a month a bit of protein. I keep it warm and humid 24/7. My temps range from upper 70s to low 90s under the heat lamp. I provide one 36 inch uvb bulb during daytime hours. I keep the enclosure covered to hold in humidity. I use cypress mulch for substrate. The bottom layer stays damp while the top layer is dry. And of course a water pan for soaking.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum, @Big Ol Tortoise !

Please start by reading the"Beginners Mistakes" Thread and the care sheet on RF torts. Ask ANY question when in need of help.

Don't forget to post pics of your tort and his/her enclosure.

Whereabouts do you live and what's the climate like back there these days?

Big Ol Tortoise

pflugerville Tx
I feed my redfoot lots of turnip greens, dandelion greens, mango, papaya, pineapple as a base. For variety I throw in strawberries, spring mix, mushrooms, sweet red peppers, zucchini, yellow squash, chopped apple, etc. A couple times a month a bit of protein. I keep it warm and humid 24/7. My temps range from upper 70s to low 90s under the heat lamp. I provide one 36 inch uvb bulb during daytime hours. I keep the enclosure covered to hold in humidity. I use cypress mulch for substrate. The bottom layer stays damp while the top layer is dry. And of course a water pan for soaking.

Thank you so much

Big Ol Tortoise

pflugerville Tx
A very warm welcome to the forum, @Big Ol Tortoise !

Please start by reading the"Beginners Mistakes" Thread and the care sheet on RF torts. Ask ANY question when in need of help.

Don't forget to post pics of your tort and his/her enclosure.

Whereabouts do you live and what's the climate like back there these days?

Yep I've red beginners mistake and I'm at fault for some lol, I live in central Texas and the weather has been nice recently low of 70 and high of low 80