red eared slider puffiness round the legs

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jamaica
Hope the turtle improves soon! I would stop feeding those pellets though. And maybe what is needed is really a visit to a good reptile vet, if possible for you.

asuka

saudi
Hope the turtle improves soon! I would stop feeding those pellets though. And maybe what is needed is really a visit to a good reptile vet, if possible for you.
yeah I threw them away, unfortunately there is non in here I got to help her on my own

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
yeah I threw them away, unfortunately there is non in here I got to help her on my own
That's ok! The people here care and have experience so you are not alone!

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
You are the best thing the turtle has. We will do our best to help you out as well. You seem to be a caring and (turtle) loving person. With a better water quality and a more normal and balanced diet and regular weight checks you will beat this. We are ALL here for you.

asuka

saudi
You are the best thing the turtle has. We will do our best to help you out as well. You seem to be a caring and (turtle) loving person. With a better water quality and a more normal and balanced diet and regular weight checks you will beat this. We are ALL here for you.
thank you so much for your kind words and help, I too do hope things work out and she gets better i will do my best with your help to beat this👍🏻

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Just a word of caution. It's very possible that something may be going on with the turtle that we cannot fix at this point no matter how much we try. However, if he doesn't make it, we can feel a bit better knowing that we did our very best!

asuka

saudi
Just a word of caution. It's very possible that something may be going on with the turtle that we cannot fix at this point no matter how much we try. However, if he doesn't make it, we can feel a bit better knowing that we did our very best!
let's hope things aren't this bad🙏🏻

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
ZooMed Makes good turtle pellets. Can you get that there?

Was the turtle in a pond outside getting sunshine before you moved it inside for winter?

The basking area needs to have a heat lamp and it needs to get up to somewhere around 35-37C directly under the bulb. Your water temperature is fine where it is.

Are you using a cfl type UV bulb? Those sometimes burn their eyes, and that may be why the turtle is avoiding the basking area. Also, 5.0 bulbs produce almost no UV at all. I would get an Arcadia 12% HO tube for UV and a flood lamp for basking.

Two more things that might help:
1. If the turtle is never getting out of the water, for whatever reason, get it out and put it into a dry tub for an hour or two a day. I would put a towel on the bottom and a flat rock under a basking lamp over to one side of a large tub.
2. Put about two cups of sea salt in the water. Salt has some sort of magical property that seems to help aquatic turtles, even when they are not brackish species. If there is an aquarium store near you, they probably stock this type of salt.

asuka

saudi
ZooMed Makes good turtle pellets. Can you get that there?

Was the turtle in a pond outside getting sunshine before you moved it inside for winter?

The basking area needs to have a heat lamp and it needs to get up to somewhere around 35-37C directly under the bulb. Your water temperature is fine where it is.

Are you using a cfl type UV bulb? Those sometimes burn their eyes, and that may be why the turtle is avoiding the basking area. Also, 5.0 bulbs produce almost no UV at all. I would get an Arcadia 12% HO tube for UV and a flood lamp for basking.

Two more things that might help:
1. If the turtle is never getting out of the water, for whatever reason, get it out and put it into a dry tub for an hour or two a day. I would put a towel on the bottom and a flat rock under a basking lamp over to one side of a large tub.
2. Put about two cups of sea salt in the water. Salt has some sort of magical property that seems to help aquatic turtles, even when they are not brackish species. If there is an aquarium store near you, they probably stock this type of salt.
I have to order it and it takes weeks but will try to look in all pet shops here I might be lucky, no her pond was always an inside one, she climbs to the basking area but not as much as before maybe cuz there is no heating lamp as u mentioned the necessity of it, as for the uvb bulb I have no idea abt the info u said I only bought it from a guy who raise turtles but will attach a pic off it's box, how long should I put her in the salty water? and for the heating lamp is there a specific one like the watts and else?. and the food what should I feed her?

Attachments

• ٢٠٢٣١٢١٨_٢٢٥٢١٤.jpg
    ٢٠٢٣١٢١٨_٢٢٥٢١٤.jpg
    338.2 KB · Views: 1
  • ٢٠٢٣١٢١٨_٢٢٥٢٢٥.jpg
    ٢٠٢٣١٢١٨_٢٢٥٢٢٥.jpg
    609.8 KB · Views: 1
  • ٢٠٢٣١٢١٨_٢٢٥٢٣١.jpg
    ٢٠٢٣١٢١٨_٢٢٥٢٣١.jpg
    470.7 KB · Views: 2

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have to order it and it takes weeks but will try to look in all pet shops here I might be lucky, no her pond was always an inside one, she climbs to the basking area but not as much as before maybe cuz there is no heating lamp as u mentioned the necessity of it, as for the uvb bulb I have no idea abt the info u said I only bought it from a guy who raise turtles but will attach a pic off it's box, how long should I put her in the salty water? and for the heating lamp is there a specific one like the watts and else?. and the food what should I feed her?
1. This tortoise might be suffering from metabolic bone disease due to the incorrect diet and lack of UV. The type of bulb you have there is a compact florescent type. Some of those burn reptile eyes, and they should not be sold or used. Get rid of that. Replace it with an HO T5 UV tube from ZooMed or Arcadia. If you don't know what these are, do an internet search to learn. Your turtle NEEDS this.
2. Any incandescent light bulb can work for basking. Only your thermometer can tell you the wattage needed and mounting height needed. What we are trying to do is offer a place for the turtle to come out and bask in the "sun" when it is indoors. They have to be able to warm up above ambient and water temperatures from time to time, and they also need to dry off from time to time. Typically, a 65-100 watt flood bulb mounted in a ceramic based dome fixture works well. You have to put a thermometer under the bulb and let it bake for an hour or more to see if it is too warm or not warm enough, and make an adjustment to get the correct basking temperature.
3. You don't put the turtle in the salty water. You put the salt into the turtles water that it lives in. This is a very small amount of salt for such a large amount of water, but it often helps solve problems.
4. The easiest way to feed is to offer a high quality pelleted turtle food or two. These are balanced and meet all their nutritional need. Supplementing with greens, insects, fish, and earthworms is always appreciated by the turtles.

asuka

saudi
1. This tortoise might be suffering from metabolic bone disease due to the incorrect diet and lack of UV. The type of bulb you have there is a compact florescent type. Some of those burn reptile eyes, and they should not be sold or used. Get rid of that. Replace it with an HO T5 UV tube from ZooMed or Arcadia. If you don't know what these are, do an internet search to learn. Your turtle NEEDS this.
2. Any incandescent light bulb can work for basking. Only your thermometer can tell you the wattage needed and mounting height needed. What we are trying to do is offer a place for the turtle to come out and bask in the "sun" when it is indoors. They have to be able to warm up above ambient and water temperatures from time to time, and they also need to dry off from time to time. Typically, a 65-100 watt flood bulb mounted in a ceramic based dome fixture works well. You have to put a thermometer under the bulb and let it bake for an hour or more to see if it is too warm or not warm enough, and make an adjustment to get the correct basking temperature.
3. You don't put the turtle in the salty water. You put the salt into the turtles water that it lives in. This is a very small amount of salt for such a large amount of water, but it often helps solve problems.
4. The easiest way to feed is to offer a high quality pelleted turtle food or two. These are balanced and meet all their nutritional need. Supplementing with greens, insects, fish, and earthworms is always appreciated by the turtles.
now that u mentioned it, lately when she swims she kinda hit the edges of the tank... omg is she losing sight cuz of the bulb?! is it curable?? omg I'm gonna lose that bulb rn💔, is the one in this pic good?

Attachments

• Screenshot_٢٠٢٣١٢١٩_٠٦٠٢٢٥_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_٢٠٢٣١٢١٩_٠٦٠٢٢٥_Chrome.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 1

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
now that u mentioned it, lately when she swims she kinda hit the edges of the tank... omg is she losing sight cuz of the bulb?! is it curable?? omg I'm gonna lose that bulb rn💔, is the one in this pic good?
I have no experience with that brand, but it looks okay. I would want to put a Solarmeter 6.5 under it to check the UV output and set the mounting height correctly.