Red Eared Slider Help??

Turtle Lover <3

Hi guys!
The past few days I have noticed that one of my red eared sliders, were wheezing, for about 10 seconds at a time. When her head was out of the water. She's active( begging for food, basking normally,etc). And looks normal too. Can this be signs of obesity?? Please amswer, I'm really worried and she does not look fat though... Thanks a lot!! ;)

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Toronto, Canada
I've never heard of wheezing with turtle obesity, but it is a symptom of respiratory infection. What temperature is the enclosure (water and basking?).

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Water needs to be around 75/78 .

Turtle Lover <3

Water needs to be around 75/78 .
Yeah...I suspected RI infection too, so I raised the water temperature to 82 degrees fahrenheit (before it was 75 degrees fahrenheit)... Just in case, I put her on a diet. However she didn't show any other symptoms for RI infection (basking alot with neck stretched, bubbles coming from nose, cloudy eyes, etc... So I'm assuming it is obesity. It did say on the website on RES's with RI that some people mistake obesity with RI infection in the wheezing symptom. The basking temp is around 90 degrees, I have a UVB and UVA light. Mini(that's her name) is the biggest and most active turtle. So maybe she ate most of the veggies, pellets, shrimp, red wigglers, etc... Because I kind of make it a free-for-all for all my 4 turtles... Maybe that's why she's obese... I put her on a diet, anyway. When she shows any of the other RI symptoms I will take her to the vet ASAP. Thanks for the answers!!:)

Turtle Lover <3

Yeah...I suspected RI infection too, so I raised the water temperature to 82 degrees fahrenheit (before it was 75 degrees fahrenheit)... Just in case, I put her on a diet. However she didn't show any other symptoms for RI infection (basking alot with neck stretched, bubbles coming from nose, cloudy eyes, etc... So I'm assuming it is obesity. It did say on the website on RES's with RI that some people mistake obesity with RI infection in the wheezing symptom. The basking temp is around 90 degrees, I have a UVB and UVA light. Mini(that's her name) is the biggest and most active turtle. So maybe she ate most of the veggies, pellets, shrimp, red wigglers, etc... Because I kind of make it a free-for-all for all my 4 turtles... Maybe that's why she's obese... I put her on a diet, anyway. When she shows any of the other RI symptoms I will take her to the vet ASAP. Thanks for the answers!!:)
Her leg and arm "armpits" do look kind of 'baggy' though.:( I'm really worried

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
is she swimming lopsided? sometimes you don't need more than one symptom of an RI for it to be an RI

Turtle Lover <3

is she swimming lopsided? sometimes you don't need more than one symptom of an RI for it to be an RI
No,l she's swimming fine... the wheezing is the only symptom that possibly could be RI. She's not wheezing now... only sometimes... for 5 seconds or so

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
yes but the wheezing gets progressively worse as more more fluid buildls in the lungs. you can wait if you want to see if it gets worse or if more symptoms appear. But it's risky to wait

Turtle Lover <3

yes but the wheezing gets progressively worse as more more fluid buildls in the lungs. you can wait if you want to see if it gets worse or if more symptoms appear. But it's risky to wait
Okay... Thanks for the answer... I'll take her to the vet... Just in case. :)

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
just be warned depending on her size some vets won't treat her

Turtle Lover <3

She's lost enough weight since yesterday such that she's no longer obese? Hmm...
If you read my first post, I said that I had put her on a diet. She started on Thursday. She is fed separately, and sparingly. She is definitely showing improvement. Just yesterday, her wheezing has at a minimum. Today, I found that she didn't at all. Maybe I just caught her at a non-wheezing time. But I continuously checked and I didn't hear her wheezing. So I'm assuming she has gotten much better. Although she does seem a bit more aggressive for food,,,

Turtle Lover <3

If you read my first post, I said that I had put her on a diet. She started on Thursday. She is fed separately, and sparingly. She is definitely showing improvement. Just yesterday, her wheezing has at a minimum. Today, I found that she didn't at all. Maybe I just caught her at a non-wheezing time. But I continuously checked and I didn't hear her wheezing. So I'm assuming she has gotten much better. Although she does seem a bit more aggressive for food,,,
I mean,my second post--- the longest one. Sorry about that