Red Ear Slider question please

Status
Not open for further replies.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
I have two female sliders in an indoor tank 30 gallon (use to be in 100 gallon til my young son had accident goofing around and well let's say 4 hours later and really sore hands from wringing out a thousand towels later they are temporarily in the smaller tank) my question is this....what constant temp should be a healthy number for the girls....right now the temp shows at bout 88ish? Kinda seems high to me but not sure exactly...( I inherited them from the wildlife park I use to work at) as these are the only ones I have had ..I ha e had them since a little girl turned them into me after her mother bought them downtown LA alley...2 for $5.00 I believe....terrible. But they have grown on us...we call them the Jude Sisters...one use to be a little bigger than the other but both beautiful...any offers of suggestion would be greatly appreciated....I am asking now because I replaced their old heater with this new one and it was lesser but don't know if too hot or not? Thank u.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Angela:

Actually, it would be better to have the water around 75ish. They should be able to get onto their "dock" to warm up under the light, then jump back into the water to cool off.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hi Yvonne,

Thank you. I will tweak the heater a bit to get it closer to that temp. I really appreciate your help.

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
ekm5015 said:
water temp 75-80
basking temp 90-100

Sorry to disagree, but 80F is a bit high. The highest water temp should be 78F for hatchlings ONLY, lowering to 72-74F for juveniles, sub-adults, and adults. Basking temp is also too high. The basking temp should only be 88-93F.

Status
Not open for further replies.