Recommendations for custom built

jegage5464

Location (City and/or State)
Earth
Hey there,
I have recently become a proud father of three baby Marginated Tortoises (I think?).
This is the first time I take care reptiles so I came here for help to make sure I keep my little fellas as healthy and happy as possible.
I live in a mediterranean country so they naturally live here and I have found them in a public (abandoned) park in my city.
At first I didnt even thought about taking them home but after finding two poor babies dead (one smashed probably by a car) nearby I understood that this place was dangerous for them.
Long story short I took them home and after a few days I have managed to make a home for them.
Here how my setup currently looks like. (I have used an old table)
I have never done this before so I am looking for opinions and recommendations on it.

My enclosure is in house and I live in a mediterranean country.
Table dimensions are 100cm x 60cm
Thermal Lamp: Trixie 75W (Today I switched to a 15W because summer is almost here)
UVB Lamp: ZooMed 13W 10.0 UVB
Both are approx 18cm from the ground
Substrate: Regular soil for plants, Exo Terra Coco Husk, Exo Terra forest moss
Plants: All of them are natural expect from one
Hidden spots: I tried to make as many hidden spots as possible both in hot and cold places so that they can choose.
Supplements: ZooMed Repti Calcium with D3, Small pieces of cuttlefish bone that they eat once in a while.
Food: The ordinary meal is fresh cabbage, lettuce and flowers with random weed I collect from the place I found them (Collect it 2 times per week, wash it and keep it in my freezer).
Some times I add pumpkin, parsley, coriander, prefoil, carrot, cucumber but they don't seem to like them.
I have also tried staple food as well as dry herbs and flowers for tortoises from the market but the dont eat them at all.
Daily routine: Clean soil from poop, Add food, Replace water, Spray the soil with water to keep humidity levels humidity close to 65%, Water plants
Two times per week I put them in a small container for 10 minutes with shallow and lightly warm water. They seem to enjoy it and poop the hell out of it.

Lamps work with timers for 12 hours per day (07:00 to 19:00)
The temperature of the room is usually 22c - 26c and under the lamp is approx 32c to 35c

Future plans: Bigger enclosure, Custom Natural waterfall with water pump and filter.

Looking forward for you recommendations :)

0.jpg1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Hi, and welcome to the forum!

The UVB bulb that you are using is bad. They have been proven to irritate the eyes. And it is not rare that this happens...frequently keepers come here for advice about sore eyes.

So you need to turn that off. What you want is a tube type UVB. This is the type. If you order one, note that they come in different lengths.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AQU8HAO/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Wow! What a beautiful home you've made for those babies!

jegage5464

Earth
Hi, and welcome to the forum!

The UVB bulb that you are using is bad. They have been proven to irritate the eyes. And it is not rare that this happens...frequently keepers come here for advice about sore eyes.

So you need to turn that off. What you want is a tube type UVB. This is the type. If you order one, note that they come in different lengths.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AQU8HAO/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Oh this is terrible I didn't know that. I will upgrade as soon as possible. Thank you

jegage5464

Earth
beautiful setup i’m scared about using plants in a enclosure due to high humidity and high overall heat also changing the substrate.

Its isn't actually an enclosure because it is wide open in my living room with a window that is usually open so fresh air is not a problem.
Do you still think I would have a problem with the real plants?
What is the problem with the substrate? What should I change it to?

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
Its isn't actually an enclosure because it is wide open in my living room with a window that is usually open so fresh air is not a problem.
Do you still think I would have a problem with the real plants?
What is the problem with the substrate? What should I change it to?
well from what i have experienced they usually die from the heat, overwatering, or my tortoise eating it. i like having plants but i can’t keep em lol. also i don’t know how people do it, don’t they change the substrate each month, but i still encourage you to try.:)