Ready to reproduce ?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

guille24

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
wisconsin
Today I saw my 7 inch may be 8 inch male red foot tortoise on top of my 5 to 6 inch redfoot (sex unknown ) well the male was making this weird sounds it almost sound like a pig and when it was on top of the other tortoise it was moving its head sideways and up and down , my question is ¿ are they ready to reproduce? ¿If the small tortoise is a female can it lay eggs at 5 to 6 inch large ?

guille24

5 Year Member
wisconsin
Woow that's very interesting ! Thank you so much !!

Here is a pic of the small tortoise (sex unknown) ImageUploadedByTortForum1373218456.801645.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1373218467.018415.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1373218482.057487.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

zman7590

5 Year Member
Sexy time!

Sent from my SGH-T769 using TortForum mobile app

guille24

5 Year Member
wisconsin
Lol !!!! Do u think the small tortoise is a female ??

travisc

5 Year Member
Indiana
the male might be old enough to breed but the 5 to 6 inch one is not big enough.

the red foot in the pic does look like it could be female

the red foot in the pic does look like it could be female

guille24

5 Year Member
wisconsin
Ok thank you !!! I'm just going to separate them tomorrow so the male don't hurt the small tortoise ! Thank you !!!! I really hope the small tortoise it's a female !! :D

zman7590

5 Year Member
This topic reminds me of the YouTube video of the torts mating... The make is making a high pitch squeal/ sigh every couple seconds. Hmmmm

Sent from my SGH-T769 using TortForum mobile app

guille24

5 Year Member
wisconsin
Lol it was funny to hear my tortoise making those sounds I never heard anything like it lol what video are u talking about ?? There are hundreds lmao !!!

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Just one tid bit I might add that seems never discussed much . I will add my 2cents with Redfoots since this is the subject. It’s not so much the size of the animal , but the maturity level as well . In males ( which seem to reach puberty earlier) you will see “sexual behavior at 6” , but I can assure you he is shooting blanks. Now with females you will need an animal that is at least 10” min , but more along the lines of an animal that is 8-10 years old before you will start getting fertile eggs on a regular basis. Females of younger age/ smaller size can attribute to a few things :
A#-Smaller clutches …young females usually 2 eggs only
B#- Eggs that ARE laid are not fertile
Many years ago there was a huge debate about a group of cherries , who *supposed* to be breeding at the 6” and producing …… but no concrete evidence came about . What ever the case you will find joy , interest and fascination ….along with trying your patience in the breeding -hatching and raising tortoises.
Cheers!
JD~:)

guille24

5 Year Member
wisconsin
Well that means I'm gonna have to wait a few more years for the small tortoise to be mature enough to lay eggs , and for the male to really be fertile ,, by the way you have some beautiful tortoises I never seen anything like the ones you have :D

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
guille24 said:
Well that means I'm gonna have to wait a few more years for the small tortoise to be mature enough to lay eggs , and for the male to really be fertile ,, by the way you have some beautiful tortoises I never seen anything like the ones you have :D

Thank you ......:shy:

Status
Not open for further replies.