Readigrass

Tony The Sulcata

Location (City and/or State)
Stowmarket
Hi,
Tony my Sulcata comes out each day (for much shorter periods of time now it's getting colder) and mows the lawn for me ?.
He has a supply of Readigrass in his house incase he doesn't feel inclined to come out or it's just too cold but he doesn't touch it.
How can I get him to eat it (or indeed I welcome suggestions of an alternative grass substitute).
I worry that during the winter he will not be eating enough (he does have suitable vegetables and fruit as a treat from time to time).

Many thanks

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome
I use Readigrass for my leopard - he won't eat any grass, fresh or dried, if just presented with it, rarely even grazes on it outdoors unless he is trying to get to the clover. So I grind it up quite finely in a blender and mix it in with wet leaves to add fibre to his diet, then he can't avoid it.
This is the caresheet for sullies which may give you other dietary ideas
They shouldn't have any fruit even though they love it because they can't deal with the sugars.
www.thetortoisetable.org.uk is also a good guide to tort safe foods
How old is Tony?

Tony The Sulcata

Stowmarket
Hi and welcome
I use Readigrass for my leopard - he won't eat any grass, fresh or dried, if just presented with it, rarely even grazes on it outdoors unless he is trying to get to the clover. So I grind it up quite finely in a blender and mix it in with wet leaves to add fibre to his diet, then he can't avoid it.
This is the caresheet for sullies which may give you other dietary ideas
They shouldn't have any fruit even though they love it because they can't deal with the sugars.
www.thetortoisetable.org.uk is also a good guide to tort safe foods
How old is Tony?
Hello and thank you.
Tony is 7 years old but has only been part of our family since August.
He absolutely loves grazing in the garden but his time outside is now being reduced due to the colder temps.
He has a slice of apple and some vegetable (tortoise safe) once a week, if that, as I know it can upset him.
I will try your suggestion if blending Readigrass with wet leaves and see how he gets on ?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hello and thank you.
Tony is 7 years old but has only been part of our family since August.
He absolutely loves grazing in the garden but his time outside is now being reduced due to the colder temps.
He has a slice of apple and some vegetable (tortoise safe) once a week, if that, as I know it can upset him.
I will try your suggestion if blending Readigrass with wet leaves and see how he gets on ?
Yes it's pretty cold in the UK now - even sully keepers in Florida bring them in over winter.
There are some good mixes of leaves in salad bags for winter feeding - I usually use Aldi mixed leaf salad as a base and add in things like pak choi, lambs lettuce, carrot leaves, spring greens, kale for variety. Florette classic crispy has a great mix but is pretty expensive, LIdl, Morrisons, Sainsbury and Asda all have decent mixes too.
@Ray--Opo may be able to suggest more