Rawr! I'm a Newbasaurus Rex!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElfDa

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Sammamish, WA
Hello there!
I'm so glad to have found an awesome forum, dedicated to the world's best little buddies, and coolest vegans; Torties! :D

My fiancé and I have two cats, Snowboots von Uggenstein, and Waldo Jacque Plumetail (Boots and Waldo for short), and one Leopard Tortoise, who is the light of my life, named Penelope Cruiser (Penelope for short... or cutie, cutie pie, tortie baby, little lady, etc...).

Penelope currently lives in a 55gallon ex-fish tank; it is huge.
She likes to be petted, and will try to follow us when we walk past her tank. She actually begs to be held, and has fallen asleep in people's hands.
She finds the cats interesting from afar, but is not remotely cool with direct interaction; the boys think she's the best cat TV since birds outside the window.

Enough yappin'; it's picture time!
44671_1491020468565_1025589970_1431469_8233119_n.jpg

The dealer said that the breeder suggests Spring Mix and alfalfa... I prefer leaf lettuce and weeds (heavy on the dandelions).
What do you guys say?

Attachments

• Tortie Baby.jpg
    Tortie Baby.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 16

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
Hello and welcome to TFO. She is super sweet :) A lot of people on here including me suggest spring mix for the first year and adding in other tort goodies like weeds and adding more and more variety as they grow. A cuttlebone to nibble on is also a good idea.

ElfDa

5 Year Member
Sammamish, WA
Missy said:
Hello and welcome to TFO. She is super sweet :) A lot of people on here including me suggest spring mix for the first year and adding in other tort goodies like weeds and adding more and more variety as they grow. A cuttlebone to nibble on is also a good idea.

Oh! right on, then. :)

yeah.... someone suggested a pelleted hay commercial food, because too much fresh greenery can cause tummy troubles for Leopards?
...she's having *none* of it and is deeply offended by its presence!

I've been piling it (moistened) on top of lettuce so that she'll get some of the roughage in her diet; she plows her head through and ends up with little chunks of wet straw stuck to her face and then looks at me with an expression that *totally* says
"Is this what you were hoping to accomplish? Hm? Are you proud of yourself?"

heehee she took a nap and pooped in my sister's hand a couple weeks ago... :p legs and neck stickin' way out. Phoebe (my twin sister) scritched her shell and she was just *out* like a light. Very sweet.

anywho. I'll be sure to get another bag of spring mix on my way home from work, today. :)
and she looooves dandelions and clover. :) I pick it from my parents' yard (they haven't used any pesticides since we moved into that house in '96). She'll race across the tank with her mouth wide open to get it, and loves to be hand fed, best of all.

...I always feel a little weird about feeding cuttlefish bone to anything, since cuttlefish can learn 30 words in sign language and are capable of communicating with humans that way. :s
I know I should, I just... something about feeding a verbal animal to anything or anyone bothers me.

Attachments

• 0728000919.jpg
    0728000919.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 16

movealongmosey

5 Year Member
Cincinnati Ohio
Oh gosh! You made me giggle like a school girl! I love your cats names, I often call my tortiose "turtle face" and then I sing him a song...but thats not important. :p WELCOME! :D

ElfDa

5 Year Member
Sammamish, WA
movealongmosey said:
Oh gosh! You made me giggle like a school girl! I love your cats names, I often call my tortiose "turtle face" and then I sing him a song...but thats not important. :p WELCOME! :D

that's great!
our torties should totally become pen pals.
I used to sing songs to our duckies, and used to sing to my friend's box turtle, Shelly (she got the turtle when she was 4, in her defense).

I'm so glad we managed to get Shelly's family to feed her something other than corn (which is what she'd been living on for 9 years); now they give her a wide variety of prey animals, and veggies!

Attached:
0326001101.jpgWaldo in my bag, in the hopes that I'll bring him along.
Bewts Luv.jpgBoots on a pillow; you can kinda see his tongue (he's a rescue, and was a stud at a kitten mill).
angry waldo1.jpg Put down the camera and HELP ME!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.