Randy male Russian

Status
Not open for further replies.

maggi

5 Year Member
hya i am in a bit of bother with my tortoises i have 2 male and 2 female horsefields,i put my male with the new female i got on the weekend they were great all night ,then in the morning they were butting shells,if they bite each other can they do damage,now the other male and female get along fine,and of course my males wont go together at all,any advice will be appreciated....

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
The Republic O' Tejas
RE: tortoise sense

maggi said:
hya i am in a bit of bother with my tortoises i have 2 male and 2 female horsefields,i put my male with the new female i got on the weekend they were great all night ,then in the morning they were butting shells,if they bite each other can they do damage,now the other male and female get along fine,and of course my males wont go together at all,any advice will be appreciated....

Male tortoises can be VERY "randy" (I understand that that's the British term :p), so it's usually a good idea to keep at least 2 females w/ a male, just so he won't expend all his "carnal glee" upon one female constantly.

Sometimes 1m/1f is a death sentence for the female.

maggi

5 Year Member
RE: tortoise sense

maggi said:
thanx for the answers,do you think i should rehome one male and just be happy with one male and 2 females?it will be sad to let little trevor go but i dont want him to be alone while the other 3 have fun .....

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
That would be my suggestion. If you can swap them out every now and then that can work too. Just try and keep the 1:2 ratio at all times.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No one can make that decision for you, Maggi. You will have to be the one who decides if they aren't getting along and if they're unhappy as is.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Ditto on what Yvonne said :D I don't know what space you have available and all...but you can certainly house them appropriately :p

maggi

5 Year Member
thanx for all your advice,think i have it sorted now,just cannot rehome him i have fallen in love with him so gonna keep them all and sort their housing out to make them all happy,have a large garden!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.