Ramps...

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Whenever I've tried to use a ramp of any sort in a tortoise enclosure, the tortoise always ends up falling off the sides and I have to incorporate a guard rail of sorts. My pool that I have in my redfoots outdoor enclosure has an area for getting in and out. However, he constantly fell in from the side and tried to climb out of the sheer sides. Eventually I had to re engineer the whole thing so that all sides are gradual enough to climb. I see many folks using ramps of all sorts. Even multi level homes. Any success?

(r.t)

Spain
Yes in my outside enclosure my Russian tort has to go up a ramp and she goese up successfully, in my grandmas countryside house she also went up succssefully but I have to admit the ramps are VERY wide.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I'm building a new enclosure with a loft, planning on putting 'railings' on my ramp for easy assess. Maybe ribs on the ramps would help? The tort could get a better grip on the surface.

christinaland128

5 Year Member
Metro Detroit
You have to train them!

My reds tried walking off the sides for a day or two and I kept putting FOOD at the top and guiding them up properly. Then down properly. It took about five days and finally they figured it out.

Now they go up and down properly. They'll even look over the side and keep walking. http://instagram.com/p/r0meI2HZzT/

Lol his tail is wagging. Soooo cute! :p

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Can I see the enclosure?
I just bought the wood lol :D I'm horrible with projects.. been thinking about getting around to just buying everything for months... I'll be posting a complete setup thread in a couple months when I FINALLY finish it!
I have the designs though? I can post those now

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
You have to train them!

My reds tried walking off the sides for a day or two and I kept putting FOOD at the top and guiding them up properly. Then down properly. It took about five days and finally they figured it out.

Now they go up and down properly. They'll even look over the side and keep walking. http://instagram.com/p/r0meI2HZzT/

Lol his tail is wagging. Soooo cute! :p
Click & treat! :D

May, Aussies, & THBs
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
Would that click thing actually work? It works with dogs but would it work with tortoises?
Sure. Zoos around the world are using clicker training/positive reinforcement for just about all animals. Check this out:

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1408402735.472338.jpg

May, Aussies, & THBs

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
The base is made with a flat 5x3 board. The side walls are 16'' high, and 5' long. The end walls are 16''x3'.
The loft has only a base and front wall, because it back right up to the sides of the box base. The ramp ribs will be really cool, because I found the giant stick with this awesome pattern on the bark, so I cut it up and use it on the ramp... I'll sand it all so it's nice and smooth. I bought 1''x12''x8' common boards from the home depot. There is a 6'' space under the loft for extra roaming room.
I think he'll like the upgrade :D

Michael Twohy

5 Year Member
Roseville, Minnesota
The base is made with a flat 5x3 board. The side walls are 16'' high, and 5' long. The end walls are 16''x3'.
The loft has only a base and front wall, because it back right up to the sides of the box base. The ramp ribs will be really cool, because I found the giant stick with this awesome pattern on the bark, so I cut it up and use it on the ramp... I'll sand it all so it's nice and smooth. I bought 1''x12''x8' common boards from the home depot. There is a 6'' space under the loft for extra roaming room.
I think he'll like the upgrade :D[/QUOTE
I wish Borris could have it....

Michael Twohy

5 Year Member
Roseville, Minnesota
Sure. Zoos around the world are using clicker training/positive reinforcement for just about all animals. Check this out:

View attachment 92430

May, Aussies, & THBs
That's cool! But what does the clicker actually do?Like, what's the advantage of using it? Also I'm not sure if I could train Borris cuz I feel like the bigger tortoises are smarter than the little ones.....

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
That's cool! But what does the clicker actually do?Like, what's the advantage of using it? Also I'm not sure if I could train Borris cuz I feel like the bigger tortoises are smarter than the little ones.....
I'll PM you.

May, Aussies, & THBs