Questions (When to weigh?)

design

Location (City and/or State)
Port Huron, Michigan
I have another thread going for my Gatsby but I am hoping to just ask quick questions here...

I have seen people list their tortoise weight and then they say after poop or before poop? What the heck?

I finally got a correct gram scale and weighed my Gatsby and he was 499g on Monday. Then a few days later I weighed him (cause the kids wanted to see me do it) and he came in at 513g. My question is could they gain weight that fast or is this actually the before poo weight?

Number 2...I soak Gatsby everyday and I also have a reptilfogger/and auto on/off sensor so he gets exactly what he needs. However he HATES soaking. I mean he HATES it. I have tried everything. From kiddie pool, tub, sink, bowl, container you name it I think I have tried it. I have only had him a few weeks and I know when I got him he already had some pyramiding. My question is since he has past pyramiding I assume he didn't have the proper humidity and obviously he didn't soak enough or at all (purchased him from online) is the soak something he may grow to enjoy and has anyone else had a sully that hated soaks?

Thanks everyone I can say with all the advice and information my guy is very happy (yes I do not know yet if he is a male since he is only 5 1/2 inches and 513g)

Destben

Kansas
When they poop they can shift grams so the best way to get an accurate reading is to weigh only after they are soaked and have pooped. they can gain weight steadily. my leopard gains a gram a day. He will probably get use to being soaked later on. If he wasn't soaked often before that could be the issue. he just needs to get use to it.

design

Port Huron, Michigan
If you think a Sulcata is bad to soak, try soaking a Russian, they HATE it.
They do get use to it.
That's exactly what I wanted to hear. That someone else has one that didn't like to soak and eventually they did. Everyone on the forum talks about how their sulcatas love being soaked and I am telling you mine HATES it.

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
My Russian still hates it. He’s always climbing up the sides of the tub. I just leave him and walk away now. I use the time to clear his enclosure, mix the substrate etc

daniellenc

Maryland
Mine does not enjoy his soak either and I don't care. It's like a kid refusing veggies. Just make sure he can't escape and keep an eye on him it doesn't hurt them and isn't mean.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Don't weigh very often. Because it will go up and down within a day or two.
Once a month is best. Just SLOW and steady gains.
It is an excellent way to check progress and health.

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
Don't weigh very often. Because it will go up and down within a day or two.
Once a month is best. Just SLOW and steady gains.
It is an excellent way to check progress and health.

I agree, one a month is best. I became obsessed and was weighing everyday and it would go up and down so much.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings, i used to weigh once/week when our sully was a hatchling. Nice long warm water soak, all urination and defecation completed, then a weigh in. I think for a hatchling, it gives the keeper a good indicator of healthiness = growth in weight. Once per month seems too long of an interval. Anyhow, just my thoughts, but it dud give me a good sense that our Sully was healthy. Once per day definitely too often.

You definitely want to soak daily for 20-30 mins until you can no longer easily do so...

Good luck. Happy Torting.