questions about wild cactus and sunflowers

Status
Not open for further replies.

6speedtitaniumr/t

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Amarillo Texas
Hello ya'll,

I am down two only two options for cactus as i cannot find it in any of my local markets. I have found only the prickly pear fruit. My little one is to small for ordering a large amount online to be economical so my question is...

Would harvesting this wild cactus from my area be sufficient and safe?
( i would remove the needles) or even harvest and grow new pads off of what has been harvested originally?
photo2.JPG

The sunflowers would obviously be fed in moderation but it would only be the leaves and the pedals.
photo.JPG

i appreciate everyone's help,

Ryan

Last edited by a moderator:

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Both plants should be fine as long as they are "clean" (no pesticides ect). If you have room, consider growing them in your yard.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
If you get a start of a spineless optunia it would grow well for you. If your garden centers don't have plants, buy a few pads from one of the online vendors and plant them at home.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The wild cactus in the pic should be fine. I don't know about the wild sunflowers, but the domestic ones are okay to feed the leaves from. Don't know about the petals. Larry is pretty on top of things, so if he says the wild sunflowers are okay, I'd believe him.

Status
Not open for further replies.