Questions about outdoor enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

LindaF

5 Year Member
I would worry the height isn't enough and she could escape by climbing over, also you might not be able to push it deep enough in the ground to keep her from digging out. It might be difficult to cover to keep out the predators.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Russians are good climbers, but they're also very good burrowers. It's not that they are inclined to dig with the intent to escape, but they will dig natural burrows for shelters which could easily go under the enclosure wall. If on flat ground they will sometimes burrow up to the surface at the end of their tunnel. They typically burrow downward either at a slight angle or nearly straight down and then at a slight angle. On a side hill like mine are set up, coming back up isn't a problem because as mine dig longer tunnels they're actually digging deeper into the hillside. I have read several posts and articles stating that Russians don't dig true burrows, only pallets long enough to fit in. It may have everything to do with the climate they are being kept in but mine definitely dig true burrows. Some I can barely reach the end of with my arm jammed all the way in up to my shoulder!

3' x 6' is okay for a single Russian tortoise. Keep in mind that tortoises are terrestrial animals that roam their home area constantly looking for food, water, shelter and mates. So the more space one has in captivity the more active it can be, which is a good thing. Height is a concern because Russian tortoises are very strong agile climbers. Never under estimate their climbing ability! A good 12-14" or more above the substrate would be more ideal with no rocks or other items up against the sides that would shorten the distance to the top for them. A shorter sided enclosure would be possible with a 3-4" inside overhang around the entire enclosure.

Unless you're putting in on concrete, clay or something else that would be too abrasive or otherwise cause a problem to the tortoise, there is really no need to add other substrate materials. Russians don't fair well in damp conditions so tall grass should be avoided except for a small areas or small patches for shade and a "change of scenery". Russians actually do well outdoors in a dryer, more rocky soil as long as they have constant access to fresh water and adequate shelter.

If you have not already, check out the below website dedicated to Russian tortoise care:

www.russiantortoise.org

russianhenry

5 Year Member
Texas
LindaF said:
I would worry the height isn't enough and she could escape by climbing over, also you might not be able to push it deep enough in the ground to keep her from digging out. It might be difficult to cover to keep out the predators.

My dad is building a top for and it is 10'' deep and has a net on the bottom to keep her from digging out. The top he is building is made out of chicken wire.

Alright its 10'' high but I can buy an additional side to make it taller, so I will do that. Its on our lawn but my parents have used fertilizer a couple years ago and Im just worried that might hurt her. So I might put her on the deck instead. Thanks for your help

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
russianhenry said:
LindaF said:

My dad is building a top for and it is 10'' deep and has a net on the bottom to keep her from digging out. The top he is building is made out of chicken wire.

Alright its 10'' high but I can buy an additional side to make it taller, so I will do that. Its on our lawn but my parents have used fertilizer a couple years ago and Im just worried that might hurt her. So I might put her on the deck instead. Thanks for your help

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
i'd go taller..and cap the corners..
no need to buy the garden thing.. you might be able to save some money and just buy boards..
If you place it on the ground and there is already dirt there.. no need to add substrate..just some plants , hide and water dish.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Sounds like you are going to increase the height, and have plans to secure the bottom and the top.
More experienced keepers may have other suggestions, but if you wanted to keep the enclosure on the lawn, you could remove the sod in that area. loosening up the soil would help drainage, and allow for some plantings.
If it will be permanent, you could also edge the outside of the enclosure with bricks or pavers to help prevent escape, and to allow a mowing edge. If you put them long side down, that will be even better.
Make sure there is a shady area to hide, but it sounds like you are working hard to make this a safe place for your tort!:)

mike1011

5 Year Member
GBtortoises said:
Russians are good climbers, but they're also very good burrowers. It's not that they are inclined to dig with the intent to escape, but they will dig natural burrows for shelters which could easily go under the enclosure wall. If on flat ground they will sometimes burrow up to the surface at the end of their tunnel. They typically burrow downward either at a slight angle or nearly straight down and then at a slight angle. On a side hill like mine are set up, coming back up isn't a problem because as mine dig longer tunnels they're actually digging deeper into the hillside. I have read several posts and articles stating that Russians don't dig true burrows, only pallets long enough to fit in. It may have everything to do with the climate they are being kept in but mine definitely dig true burrows. Some I can barely reach the end of with my arm jammed all the way in up to my shoulder!

3' x 6' is okay for a single Russian tortoise. Keep in mind that tortoises are terrestrial animals that roam their home area constantly looking for food, water, shelter and mates. So the more space one has in captivity the more active it can be, which is a good thing. Height is a concern because Russian tortoises are very strong agile climbers. Never under estimate their climbing ability! A good 12-14" or more above the substrate would be more ideal with no rocks or other items up against the sides that would shorten the distance to the top for them. A shorter sided enclosure would be possible with a 3-4" inside overhang around the entire enclosure.

Unless you're putting in on concrete, clay or something else that would be too abrasive or otherwise cause a problem to the tortoise, there is really no need to add other substrate materials. Russians don't fair well in damp conditions so tall grass should be avoided except for a small areas or small patches for shade and a "change of scenery". Russians actually do well outdoors in a dryer, more rocky soil as long as they have constant access to fresh water and adequate shelter.

If you have not already, check out the below website dedicated to Russian tortoise care:

www.russiantortoise.org
I dont have any russians but this was a very imformative post on them, thanks

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
I will pipe in with my process of building an outdoor enclosure for my 2 adult, newly adopted Russian torts.
I live in the NW, so I am paying attention to drainage. I will be using a raised bed, about 12 X 2.5 feet. Southern exposure.
I have excavated down several inches, then put down heavy plastic netting, stapled gunned to lower sides. I then threw in some leftover bricks, and covered with drainage gravel. I will cover this with landscape fabric and then apply the substrate.
The site below uses soil, sand and grit. Is the grit ok if mixed in well?
http://www.tortoisetrust.org/articles/habitatdesign.htm
(scroll down to the section on improving drainage).
I also considered topsoil (organic), peat moss and sand...
Of course, there will be larger rocks on the surface here and there.
Appreciate any advice especially with regard to the Russian torts outside!:)

GBtortoises said:

www.russiantortoise.org

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Here is the link to my Russian pen album.

http://s285.photobucket.com/albums/...urtle Enclosures - Outdoor/Russian Tortoises/

The pictures show from start to finish. I built it almost completely out of recycled materials, and it cost me a whopping $11 to build. The pieces of concrete are spaced close enough together to prevent them from digging out. At the same time, they raise the ground of the pen a bit above the surrounding ground, and allow water to drain off through the spaces.

The lip is a 2 X 12" board that overlaps 6" into the pen. It keeps them from scaling the corners and getting out. And they WILL scale the corners. I sit and watch them do it all the time. A nice thing about that big 2 X 12" board - it doubles as a seat and is a real nice place to sit and watch the tortoises amble about.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Laura said:
i'd go taller..and cap the corners..
no need to buy the garden thing.. you might be able to save some money and just buy boards..
If you place it on the ground and there is already dirt there.. no need to add substrate..just some plants , hide and water dish.

That's the way to go...enough 2 X 4s to do it right would cost maybe $20=25 and take an afternoon to whip up...plus, it could be made much roomier, which would be good for the tortoise.

Screen the bottom, to prevent eacapes, and make a screened top and it's done, except for the interior decorating! :cool:

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Your pictures are great! I like the edging. What is the brown substrate you put down before the weeds/sod?

kyryah said:
Here is the link to my Russian pen album.

http://s285.photobucket.com/albums/...urtle Enclosures - Outdoor/Russian Tortoises/

The pictures show from start to finish. I built it almost completely out of recycled materials, and it cost me a whopping $11 to build. The pieces of concrete are spaced close enough together to prevent them from digging out. At the same time, they raise the ground of the pen a bit above the surrounding ground, and allow water to drain off through the spaces.

The lip is a 2 X 12" board that overlaps 6" into the pen. It keeps them from scaling the corners and getting out. And they WILL scale the corners. I sit and watch them do it all the time. A nice thing about that big 2 X 12" board - it doubles as a seat and is a real nice place to sit and watch the tortoises amble about.

Status
Not open for further replies.