Question regarding seeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

grettas mom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
I ordered some seeds from carolina petsupply and I am trying to get ready for them so I can plant them as soon as they arrive; however, I am unsure as to what type of soil to use. I know I should use organic soil but I was wondering if anyone knows of any brands that work? I was thinking about using Organic Choice Potting Mix by Miracle-Gro. The ingredients are: 50-55% composted bark, sphagnum peat moss, pasteurized poultry litter, and an organic wetting agent. I am not sure if this is safe to use. Any ideas?

sammi

10 Year Member!
San Diego, CA
I used some organic mix, I forget the brand, but I mixed it with coco coir. I have heard some people using just plain ol' coco coir from their torts enclosure to grow their plants in.

M

Maggie Cummings

I use cheap top soil from Home Depot. It's nice and black and it lays out nice and a large bag was less then $3. I also am waiting for my seeds from Joe and I have a nice area all spread out. I have grown seeds using this method before and they all sprouted fine, except the dandelion seeds, not one of them sprouted. I've used the grazing tort seed mix before and really like it. It also grows well just thrown over the lawn.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
maggie3fan said:
they all sprouted fine, except the dandelion seeds, not one of them sprouted.

Dandy's do best in a well-maintained, weed free, sculpted lawn :p.

elegans

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
As a side note you can get true dandelions to sprout with almost 100% success if you chill them for 8 to 10 weeks right next to the butter in the side door. Works wonders, they need a diapause. I get them from my family in CO and do this and they grow just fine in FL for that one season. Best wishes Douglas

Status
Not open for further replies.