Question on weight and size

danishrubberduck

10 Year Member!
So I've searched the threads for a good solid answer but many links are dead ends now so I need to ask some questions about weight and length. I am on a waitlist to see the reptile vet (may get to jump the list as its a vet we use for my dog rescue!)

Background:
A friend of a friend was getting rid of her Russian that her son didn't want anymore. She had gotten it two years ago from a friend who claimed the tort was 16 years old (so he would be 18 now). I had a Russian many years ago and was not smart and he dug out of his outdoor enclosure and ran away, but now I am more knowledgeable so I agreed to take him. His set up was a small Rubbermaid with a night light, and a 60w plain bulb and he was on rabbit bedding because he "stinks". He was eating peas and green beans when I picked him up. We have altered literally everything in his little life from diet to lights to substrate and are in the works to build a custom indoor tort table (thanks for the photos of all yours!)

He is active, curious, and peeing/pooping nicely. Question is whats the range of weight and length of a mature adult male? He weighs 338g, I used a scale that we use on our newborn rescue puppies so I know it's accurate and his straight carapace length measurements are 3.5 inches (3.38 cm). I feel that he is underweight a bit as he is surprisingly light when picked up.

He is on a spring mix salad, plus homemade salad style based on another thread here and I am picking fresh broadleaf weeds to add-in when I see them in our yard. He has his own shelf now in our fridge :D I added in a cuttlebone plus some vitamins with calcium and D3.

Thoughts and suggestions are welcome!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I think you can use the Jackson Ratio for Horsefield/Russian tortoises. Look it up on my friend Google.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That is small for a tortoise of that age, but not surprising given the poor care it received for so many years.

All you can do is offer it better care and feeding now, and let him recover. I'd soak him for 30-40 minutes two or three times a week for a few months. Good hydration will help flush the system and aid recovery.

The broadleaf weeds are good, but spring mix isn't great. Add in more variety. If you put in your location we can suggest things you might find around you.

danishrubberduck

10 Year Member!
That is small for a tortoise of that age, but not surprising given the poor care it received for so many years.

All you can do is offer it better care and feeding now, and let him recover. I'd soak him for 30-40 minutes two or three times a week for a few months. Good hydration will help flush the system and aid recovery.

The broadleaf weeds are good, but spring mix isn't great. Add in more variety. If you put in your location we can suggest things you might find around you.

I am in Minnesota. I have been picking broadleaf weeds everyday and adding them into his spring mix but our grass will not be at full grassiness until at least the end of May due to the weather. I am all for help with the food situation and have utilized Tortoise Table to make sure I don't give him the wrong stuff.

He's been getting soaked for 30 mins every 3 days and thoroughly enjoys his bathtime.

Thank you!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I am in Minnesota. I have been picking broadleaf weeds everyday and adding them into his spring mix but our grass will not be at full grassiness until at least the end of May due to the weather. I am all for help with the food situation and have utilized Tortoise Table to make sure I don't give him the wrong stuff.

He's been getting soaked for 30 mins every 3 days and thoroughly enjoys his bathtime.

Thank you!
Russians aren't grass eaters, so I wouldn't bother with grass, unless you are using it to add fiber to the grocery store greens.

Anyone near you have mulberry trees or grape vines? Rose of sharon?

Will is a member here. @Kapidolo Farms He sells all sorts of excellent dried leaves that you can mix in with the spring mix and other grocery store greens to make them a much better meal for your tortoise. @TylerStewart and his wife Sarah at tortoisesupply.com also sell an "herbal hay" mix that I've been using for years. My tortoises love it and its another great way to add variety when the weeds outside are limited or unavailable. These things are very easy to sprinkle on top and mix in for some quick variety.

Tyler also sells smaller quantitates of original Mazuri, so you don't have to buy a 25 pound bag. This would be a good way to bulk up a skinny tortoise too.

Your tortoise is likely to reject any new food that it is not used to at first. You'll have to spend time slowly introducing any new food.