Question on shell growth.

vairmoose

Location (City and/or State)
Huntsville, AL
This is about our 2 year old Mr.Z. he is 9 lbs today. I'm starting to be concerned about the expanded and seemingly unprotected growth area between some of his plates. This just showed this past week.
Is this a problem and if yes, what is the recommended action to ensure no long term problem?
Thank you for your response.

Attachments

• 20201031_125555.jpg
    20201031_125555.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 37
  • 20201031_125543.jpg
    20201031_125543.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 37

Skip K

Virginia
Looks like new growth. It varies depending on how often you feed, amount and type of food. Excessive feeding or higher protein foods can exacerbate the growth “white”...but I’ve had similar circumstances as yours with no apparent ill effects to the tort. But I do watch their protein intake. Slow steady growth is what I aim for.

Last edited:

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
That doesn't look like a normal growth line. Something is going on there like the new keratin is being baked and flaking off instead of filling in. What are you using for heat and basking? But its just as pronouned at the marginal/costal seam as on top. ?? @Tom have you seen this before?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That doesn't look like a normal growth line. Something is going on there like the new keratin is being baked and flaking off instead of filling in. What are you using for heat and basking? But its just as pronouned at the marginal/costal seam as on top. ?? @Tom have you seen this before?
This looks like what you get when you move a California sulcata outside full time. From a humid environment to a dry one.

@vairmoose Did you recently move this tortoise indoors for winter into a dry heated area? Are you using CHEs and/or brooder lamps to warm the tortoise?

vairmoose

Huntsville, AL
We are in northern Alabama. The temperatures are now topping in the 60's so for the last couple weeks Mr Z has been spending more time in-doors. We do not have a separate large space set up for him yet that has elevated humidity. He was basically living in 75 gal aquarium which worked last winter but is now definitely too small.
At this time I do not yet have a working UV lamp (last one died in the spring).