Question for basking spot.

Martin Martinussen

As you can see on the picture it really like the basking spot on the stone.. any laies there till it poop... 3 days in a row..

So the question is.
The stone get 3C varmer then the soil. So it's more like 33-34C.. And it use it to the body going and pooping..
So should I raise the lamp alittle more to lower the temp? And lose some of the uv?Screenshot_20170615-202259.png
It drinks and run you the dishes with water every day and get a bath for 20-30 mins.
Plus the humidity is 75-85 around the clock.

I look at it like.. if they went out into the sun at noon near the border to saraha, the stones and soil there is more like 40C If not more.. So imo it's not a problem... plus it uses the soil to bask also..

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I find leopards like a hot basking spot, 34° is certainly lower than I keep mine, but is warm enough for the tortoise to get its internal body temp to the optimum temp of 29°-30°. They do use hotter temps to heat the skin for D3 production as well, so I like to keep a basking spot with a highest point of about 37°-39°. You can see in the picture you posted, that your tortoise has exposed the thinner skin on the back of its legs and neck. That is where D3 production primarily occurs. I also use a heat gun when getting things fine tuned, and actually read the carapace temperature while the tortoise is basking. That will give you a good indication of where things really are with your setup.

It is also very important to give a leopard tortoise choices of temperatures and "shade" from the bright lights. You've decorated for a barren desert look. Think instead more of a grassland in monsoon season. A tortoise will not seek out, but instead wants to avoid barren, rocky areas. I also like to use plants in heavy pots with lots of overhanging leaves. A leopard tortoise's favorite place, when given the choice, is pushed under a large tussock of grass, or plant. Give your tortoise that option and it will do much better. Spider plant, boston ivy, pothos ivy are my favorites for overhanging leaves and hides, yet do very well in an indoor enclosure with artificial lights.

Your water dishes are also something I would tend to avoid. Vertical sides are uncomfortable for the tortoise to use, and if by some chance, it ever gets flipped over, it cannot right itself against that vertical side. I use clay saucers made for going under potted plants. I really suggest you change those water dishes.

Martin Martinussen

Will replace the 2 dishes asap.. already knew.
The full enclosure look like this.. So lots of shade like tree log where they sleep at night ( with temp sensor if it drops under 26c tubular heater turns on) and the tree stump they use at day time to hide under..

Gonna plant some green stuff in there also but have been buying seeds.. So take some time to grow..

Attachments

• 14975541717001896423991.jpg
    14975541717001896423991.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 17

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Mark's post was brilliant.

I also like a basking area of around 37 C.

Martin Martinussen

Mark's post was brilliant.

I also like a basking area of around 37 C.

Perfect I'll just keep it where it is for now...
So they can climb the rock if they want warmer and use the soil if they want lower temp...

And could even lower it a bit...

Use one of them HID bulbs... so best range from bulb is 45-60cm.. and mine is 55cm up atm

Last edited:

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Perfect I'll just keep it where it is for now...
So they can climb the rock if they want warmer and use the soil if they want lower temp...

And could even lower it a bit...

Use one of them HID bulbs... so best range from bulb is 45-60cm.. and mine is 55cm up atm
Not sure what type of HID bulb you may be using, but I know of no one using them for tortoises. They are becoming quite popular with growing plants. What brand/type are you using? Some of them are producing quite stunning spectral charts including good UVA and UVB with excellent CRI. Love to know more about your experience with them or how you chose it.

Martin Martinussen

Not sure what type of HID bulb you may be using, but I know of no one using them for tortoises. They are becoming quite popular with growing plants. What brand/type are you using? Some of them are producing quite stunning spectral charts including good UVA and UVB with excellent CRI. Love to know more about your experience with them or how you chose it.

Martin Martinussen

Its a Germany brand we use here in Denmark.
Also get food and other items from there..
And it's by far the best type of lamp there is.

Attachments

• 1497579241290844976314.jpg
    1497579241290844976314.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 12
  • 14975792760261295556524.jpg
    14975792760261295556524.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 11