question about superworms this time

Status
Not open for further replies.

drgnfly2265

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
FLORIDA
Hello, it's me again with another question (Ive had so many questions since I bought Dante). I bought some superworms for my BD at Petsmart. When I was there one of the sales person came over and we started talking about the live food that we feed BD. I told him that I just wanted some superworms as a snack for him and he told me to make sure I take off the heads of the worms right before I feed them to him. I was like "huh"??? I'm sure I would have read something about that with how much stuff that I have read about BDs in the last couple of days. So I asked why. He said that for the smaller BDs, after the worm is swallowed, the worm can chew threw a smaller BDs stomach and kill them. It sounded like the alien movie.

So I was wondering if that is true? Do I need to take off the heads of the superworm before I feed them to Dante?

Jamie

1 Sulcata (Bowser)
1 Bearded Dragon (Dante)
1 Shih-tzu (Suki)
:D

chadk

10 Year Member!
Urban myth. I know my beardies chomped them up very good before swollowing. I never worried about it or no anyone else who does either... It is usually best just to avoid the petstore guys unless you just need help finding something or when it is time to checkout...

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
don't superworms bite? unlike mealworms.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Now I remember seeing a super worm at the reptile show.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
Supposedly they can bite - but I have never seen it happen. There's no way they could chew inside the tort - they are dead before they are swallowed. Mine often rip the head off first thing!

drgnfly2265

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
FLORIDA
Ok, good. It sounded weird in the first place. I watched my BD eat two of them just now and he chewed them up good.

It seemed like he didn't know anything at all about Bearded Dragons, but he said that he owned one (poor thing). He said that he doesn't recommend giving young BD a lot of protein like crickets and that he only feeds his BD a cricket or 2 maybe twice a week. Then I told him about how I was trying to get Roaches and he said that they were very harmful to BDs. I was thinking does this guy know anything, lol.

Jamie

1 Sulcata (Bowser)
1 Bearded Dragon (Dante)
1 Shih-tzu (Suki)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
pet stores willl say anything to get you to buy their live food.

BuffsTorts

5 Year Member
Sadly, I have corrected too many people on this silly one.
In the hedgehog world, you get yelled at on the forums for NOT cutting the heads off, soo stupid.

The myth stems from a picture of a dead bearded dragon with a worm crawling out of its stomach.
The death was not related to the worm, the worm was added.(So has been discussed on other bearded dragon forums)
It also stems from people freaking out when they are PINCHED by a superworm when they hold it.
I think the worm is dead before the dragon even takes a second bite(and mine normally take 10 chews to swallow).
I feed my dragons 75% surperworms as a staple diet.

chikken

5 Year Member
CT
Since I have a question about superworms too, and there's this thread already open, I hope you don't mind if I ask my own question in your thread, drgnfly2265.

(I'm afraid it's a terribly stupid question that I already know the answer to, maybe...) I bought some superworms today because I'm taking care of someone's BD while they're away for a couple of weeks. The Beardie chowed down on the few that I have him, but of course I still have a bunch... do I need to toss a carrot bit into their cup for food/water and mist inside the cup for humidity or will they all be okay without? I'm so used to crickets and throwing food in for them, but this BD loves its superworms and I don't want to kill them all accidentally (or start mold in their container). :)

chadk

10 Year Member!
a little bit of carrot or chunck of potatoe is fine. I tend to just throw in a bit of the salad I feed my critters.

chikken

5 Year Member
CT
Thanks Chad. That's what I wound up doing-- the salad, I mean-- because I had some extra. And just added a couple chunks of carrot. They all went for it, so I feel better about it now. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.