Beheading superworms before feeding?

Davidy

Location (City and/or State)
fort Worth, Texas
An employee at the pet store where I buy most of my turtle supplies informed me that I should always pinch the heads off superworms before I feed them to my box turtles so that the worms don't bite the turtles and cause internal injuries to their digestive systems. I've been doing that for several years now but this practice is kind of messy and grosses out my family members. I have never seen any other reference to this. For years before she told me this I had been feeding live superworms to my box turtle with no ill effects. Anyone have any experience with this?

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome to the TFO from AZ . I've heard that also . But I would rather raise my own in sects to know what they are being fed because you are what you eat . Most pet stores feed mealworms patatoes . I fed mine carrots , banana peels , brocly .

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I have some super worms that I feed different types of vegetables too. I did get them for my Boxturtle specifically. I have also heard that you should not feed them because they can bite your turtle internally. I have not cut their heads off yet but I could try it. how long do they wiggle four, sorry that is gross but I think my turtle is attracted to their wiggling around more than anything else. I definitely don't want to hurt my box turtle, so I would be interested what other people have to say about this also.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I've heard that before, but I really doubt it will harm the box turtles. If yours are anything like mine, they break apart the worms as they're eating them. I'm pretty sure the worms are dead as they go down the tubes.

Davidy

fort Worth, Texas
I have some super worms that I feed different types of vegetables too. I did get them for my Boxturtle specifically. I have also heard that you should not feed them because they can bite your turtle internally. I have not cut their heads off yet but I could try it. how long do they wiggle four, sorry that is gross but I think my turtle is attracted to their wiggling around more than anything else. I definitely don't want to hurt my box turtle, so I would be interested what other people have to say about this also.[/
I have some super worms that I feed different types of vegetables too. I did get them for my Boxturtle specifically. I have also heard that you should not feed them because they can bite your turtle internally. I have not cut their heads off yet but I could try it. how long do they wiggle four, sorry that is gross but I think my turtle is attracted to their wiggling around more than anything else. I definitely don't want to hurt my box turtle, so I would be interested what other people have to say about this also.

They wiggle around for quite a while after they are beheaded - anywhere from a few minutes to thirty minutes. My turtles attack them without hesitation.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have never heard that they will bite the insides, but they can bite their faces or feet, etc. I feed them to my chameleon and used to feed them to my bearded and I have never beheaded them or squished their heads which is what I was told to do.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I do not cut off the heads. Box turtles completely demolish the superworms before they even swallow them! Trust me, they are dead before they swallow them. With lizards that is not necessarily so though. I still don't cut the head offs. I just make sure to feed the white supers that have just shed their shell. They seem to be less "aggressive" in that state.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I do not cut off the heads. Box turtles completely demolish the superworms before they even swallow them! Trust me, they are dead before they swallow them. With lizards that is not necessarily so though. I still don't cut the head offs. I just make sure to feed the white supers that have just shed their shell. They seem to be less "aggressive" in that state.
That is good to know. I can't really tell what's happening when my box turtle eats one I just see it disappear slowly. But sometime she doesn't bite it in half.

Loohan

5 Year Member
North-Central Arkansas
I haven't been beheading them. I notice sometimes, on big worms, Rorg wrestles them around until he gets one end down his throat, and down they slide pretty whole. Probably the tail end, though; i'll pay more attention next time. Of course he does chomp on them some on the way down.
Other times he mangles them pretty well.

I feed my worms nutritious stuff too. I gave them some organic carrot peels today, but usually lately i give them opuntia. I have some hardy opuntia established on my land. This time of year, the better pads are still OK but very thin, dehydrated, and undoubtedly nutrient-dense. I pick them with thick leather gloves, leave the spines on, slice them open to expose the flesh, and the worms go ape.

I have also fed them chickweed. I still have some growing in a planter, with white spots from winter damage, but good enough for worms. Chickweed is also very nutritious.

Loohan

5 Year Member
North-Central Arkansas
They wiggle around for quite a while after they are beheaded - anywhere from a few minutes to thirty minutes.

I noticed my baby ate one head first. He did bite at the head a few times first. But i figured it was wise for me to pinch their heads, so i fed him 2 more, but pinched the head of each one.
Each was instantly paralysed and didn't move at all after that. But he ate them anyway.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I think what it comes down to is the fact that some animals really CHOMP on them and cut them to shreds as they are swallowed and others just kind of grab them in their mouths and swallow. This would seem to me that they meal worms would be eaten 100% alive and active. Instead of ingested in tiny, cut up bits. A tortoise has a cutting bite. Something like a Day Gecko, or maybe a large frog, not so much.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I don't feed them to babies or small turtles only the adults. I hate those things. lol Why not get some night crawlers or red wigglers...wax worms or meal worms, pill bugs...make a mix chop up some greens, fruit, sweet potato, carrots, mushrooms. Chop it all up and add some soaked turtle brittle and they will have a well balanced diet. You could throw some worms on top.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
About ten or so yeas ago, pics floated around the net of dead lizards with holes in their stomachs supposedly done by superworms. The pics were proven to be fakes, I imagine if the worm is eaten whole, there is a chance.