Question about pyramiding

I just adopted 2 hermanns lady an boy, they have been together since birth. She got a few unfertilized eggs, and when that happened, i made 2 different terrariums so they do not go together anymore, and since then they have both changed alot. She is now really active and looks more happy, and he is so lazy.

But my main question is how do i prevent pyramiding, she looks like she is starting to pyramide, and so does he. The terrarium is both within 27-30 celcius, and we spray it with water every day. They both have an uva/uvb lamp with 80w on, 12 hours pr day. I soak them almost every day, at least every second day.

They both walks on the floor almost every day.

I feed them with chicory and lollo rosso and other salads every day plus pellets.

I am so worried about them. Here is a few pictures of her shell.

IMG_20170308_153008.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

Pyramiding happens when they are smaller and growing in conditions that are too dry. When they are already a grown adult, there is not a lot that can be done about growth that has already happened.

Sounds like their diets need more variety and more broadleaf weeds.

Your tortoises should never be loose on the floor. Its is a disaster waiting to happen.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Hello and welcome.

Pyramiding happens when they are smaller and growing in conditions that are too dry. When they are already a grown adult, there is not a lot that can be done about growth that has already happened.

Sounds like their diets need more variety and more broadleaf weeds.

Your tortoises should never be loose on the floor. Its is a disaster waiting to happen.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Thank you so much for the answer. They are 5 years old. I have no idea how they had it before they came here, but I feel like the shell is more "pyramide", but maybe thats because I'm a bit more worried since they does not come from the best home. I have had them for a little bit over a month only.
I only have them on the floor alone, and when I am with them, and never outside because it is way too cold. Is that bad too?
About the food they also get calcium a few times a week. It is not much I can buy here at this time that they can eat, but I try to change it a bit, that will get so much better in the spring/summertime.

I am out looking for broadleaf but it if snow and minusdegrees outside.

I find it difficult to find food that testudo hermanniis can eat, I find so much more for other species, do you know something? They have timothy hay but they does not touch it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Thank you so much for the answer. They are 5 years old. I have no idea how they had it before they came here, but I feel like the shell is more "pyramide", but maybe thats because I'm a bit more worried since they does not come from the best home. I have had them for a little bit over a month only.
I only have them on the floor alone, and when I am with them, and never outside because it is way too cold. Is that bad too?
About the food they also get calcium a few times a week. It is not much I can buy here at this time that they can eat, but I try to change it a bit, that will get so much better in the spring/summertime.

I am out looking for broadleaf but it if snow and minusdegrees outside.

I find it difficult to find food that testudo hermanniis can eat, I find so much more for other species, do you know something? They have timothy hay but they does not touch it.

Hermanni are not grass eaters, so its no surprise that they don't eat the grass hay.

They should never be on the floor. Its too cold and its dangerous. Many tortoises are injured or killed this way every year, and every single person was sure it was safe and they were being very careful. If they had realized something bad would happen, they wouldn't have done it. Well, you now realize that something bad is very likely to happen, so I'm hoping you will choose not to do it. Keep them in their enclosure. If the enclosure is too small to meet their exercise need, then make it bigger.

A little calcium supplementation a couple of times a week is good.

If you must use grocery store foods, favor endive and escarole heavily, but use lots of variety. Amend the fiber content by adding grass, blended and rehydrated grass hay, or ZooMed Grassland Tortoise Chow. All if these amendments will have to be introduced slowly over weeks or months. Start with just a tiny little amount at first and gradually add more over time. Most tortoises are not going to eat this things the first time they see them, so just mix in a tiny amount of the new stuff with the old favorites. Over time, as the tortoise begins to accept it, you can add more and more go the new good stuff.

Best thing for your tortoises is the broadleaf weeds and leaves. Hopefully in summer you will have better luck with those things. Grocery store greens amended with grass or hay to add fiber should get you through the cold winter.