Question about pyramiding and oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.

robopeen

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SF Bay Area
I've been reading the End of Pyramiding thread and I see that spraying the shell helps a lot. I was wondering if adding some cold-pressed Argan oil along the seams would help as well. It absorbs really quickly and doesn't clog pores so I don't think it would cause any problems if I were to leave it on. I want to make sure my future hatchling has the best chance to have a nice, smooth shell.

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
I know of a couple people who use it without any harm (not quite sure of the benefit, however). Unlike waxes, it doesn't build-up and clog the porousness of the scutes....If I'm correct, I believe virgin argan oil is designed specifically for nails...So the product should be okay. Argan oil is about the only thing that can be applied to tortoise shells, unlike petroleum-based waxes. Just be careful not to apply excessive amounts of it and then bake the tortoise under heat lamps....I would suggest to put a little bit on and rub it around with a rag, and wipe the excess off. Shouldn't cause any harm.
However, if your providing the right diet, humidity, temps, soaking daily, etc., there should be no need for it. I would focus more on proper husbandry and not bother with oil.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't know anything about the stuff. However, if you raise your tort like mentioned in Toms threads, which are below in my post, you don't have to add anything to his shell.:D

robopeen

5 Year Member
SF Bay Area
RedfootsRule said:
I know of a couple people who use it without any harm (not quite sure of the benefit, however). Unlike waxes, it doesn't build-up and clog the porousness of the scutes....If I'm correct, I believe virgin argan oil is designed specifically for nails...So the product should be okay. Argan oil is about the only thing that can be applied to tortoise shells, unlike petroleum-based waxes. Just be careful not to apply excessive amounts of it and then bake the tortoise under heat lamps....I would suggest to put a little bit on and rub it around with a rag, and wipe the excess off. Shouldn't cause any harm.
However, if your providing the right diet, humidity, temps, soaking daily, etc., there should be no need for it. I would focus more on proper husbandry and not bother with oil.

I just want to make sure I cover all my bases that I can give my tortoise the best home and care possible. They're going to be with me for probably the rest of my life, so I want to keep them as healthy and comfortable as I can!

james1974

5 Year Member
Illinois
RedfootsRule said:

I would agree with you focus on diet humidity and temps...

Status
Not open for further replies.