Question about Oscar's Shell Growth/development

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrlax

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Francisco, CA
Hi Folks,

Wondering if someone can give me some advice & insight on our pancake tortoise's shell development. I've attached a few pictures, although they may not be so helpful. Anyways, he seems to have slightly recessed scutes- sort of the opposite of pyramiding. Not dramatically so, but the edges have slight elevation, and the centers seem to be slightly depressed.
Maybe you can see what I'm referring to in the pics. I don't have much experience with this species so I dont know if this is typical, or a problem.

Any advice on this would be great

thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_9294.jpg
    IMG_9294.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 64
  • IMG_9290.jpg
    IMG_9290.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 60

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Looks ok to me. What your seeing is accelerated growth. This can be corrected though. What is your main diet and husbandry techniques for this guy? Wheat grass is a very good source of balance in nutrition for pancakes, cactus and succulents, and grasses are the best to feed. Greens are ok but they need to be dark, no lettuces. Do you have a humid area for them?

mrlax

5 Year Member
San Francisco, CA
Thanks for the message. He's eating mainly wheat grass, opitunia cactus, zoo-med grassland tortoise food, dandelion greens, some arugula, occasional kale. No lettuce, etc. Sometimes we give him edible flowers when available. The enclosure is 100 degrees in the hot spot, 80s for the majority of the enclosure. 40-50% humidity. We give him a soak daily for about 10 minutes, and he has access to water. We supplement each meal with calcium w/D3 and give a multivitamin weekly. Should we cut the arugula/dandelions down?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Sounds perfect to me. Your on the right track. Sometimes faster growing species of tortoises like the pancake will show accelerated growth but catch up to itself. I have one that has this from obvious previous ownership. Its not a huge concern, unless it worsens. Should be just fine. Looking good.

mrlax

5 Year Member
San Francisco, CA
Kelly- Thanks for the message. Is this type of thing (typically) from over-nutritious food?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Very well could be. Or just a balance issue. Spike or lack of minerals too. Im not that scientifically knowing of that much detail in the anatomy and nutrient or mineral usage in growth, and how it could effect or benefit. I do know to stay.away from fruit.

mrlax

5 Year Member
San Francisco, CA
Thanks again, Kelly. Its interesting that I just dug out this pic of our tortoise, and his fellow hatchling, from the store we got him from. Ours is the smaller guy on the right, and they said he was about 2-3 weeks old at the time. I can see this same kind of texture in the picture...I wonder if this is normal with this species or something inherited from the parents?

Attachments

• IMG_7927.JPG
    IMG_7927.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 35
Status
Not open for further replies.