Questions on smooth shell development

Jerry Wang

Location (City and/or State)
Taiwan
Hi! My name is Jerry. I have a baby Herman tortoise for a little more than a year now. His/ her name is goomo! Goomo is very healthy and seems to enjoy his life a lot. However, I recently discovered that his shell development is not very smooth. Can any of you help me identify the problems and help me fix it? DEA062D0-C7CE-46EA-B199-24E7C90F09AD.jpeg702F281A-0398-48DC-AB86-49AA25076E2B.jpeg BF0C327D-C39F-4FC1-B795-B794D22B7D31.jpegAs the photos showed, his front left and right (especially) scutes are slightly inward instead of outward! I recently just redo his enclosure and have a small fogger that constantly feed fog underneath his basking area!( to ensure it’s not too dry when under basking area, also helps to creat a better humidity throughout the whole enclosure) I also switched his diet from Mazuri to rep- cal tortoise food for higher protein content because I read a research about high protein high humidity can help repair the shape and smoothness of their shell over time! Please tell me what else I should do for him! BB04A52C-6C2E-428B-B077-D37C9E06F0CE.jpegThis is his new enclosure. It’s fairly large for him so I can make sure he has plenty of room to move around!41D141D9-3D83-4CF7-B60B-3EAED5EF7DF5.jpeg
Last but not least, as the picture above showed, their are three spot where I think his scutes are sticking! ( I don’t know what this symptom is called but form where I come from ppl call this shell sticking) he is still fairly young but I am worried about in the long run, this will cause his shell to grow unevenly (as I know if I don’t do anything about it the sticked part will stop growing while rest of the scutes will keep on growing) Do anyone know what is this called in English so I can do research on it or maybe some of you know the treatment for it!

Attachments

• A65A0A3F-DC13-4F79-AAA3-6604E699A36C.jpeg
    A65A0A3F-DC13-4F79-AAA3-6604E699A36C.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 22

Jerry Wang

Taiwan
Also I just bought shell saver from amazon. Just wondering if it is necessary to use it to promote better smooth shell growth. If so, how do I use this product. Once a week? Everyday? Let dry? Or wipe off?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hi! My name is Jerry. I have a baby Herman tortoise for a little more than a year now. His/ her name is goomo! Goomo is very healthy and seems to enjoy his life a lot. However, I recently discovered that his shell development is not very smooth. Can any of you help me identify the problems and help me fix it? View attachment 266041View attachment 266042 View attachment 266045As the photos showed, his front left and right (especially) scutes are slightly inward instead of outward! I recently just redo his enclosure and have a small fogger that constantly feed fog underneath his basking area!( to ensure it’s not too dry when under basking area, also helps to creat a better humidity throughout the whole enclosure) I also switched his diet from Mazuri to rep- cal tortoise food for higher protein content because I read a research about high protein high humidity can help repair the shape and smoothness of their shell over time! Please tell me what else I should do for him! View attachment 266046This is his new enclosure. It’s fairly large for him so I can make sure he has plenty of room to move around!View attachment 266044
Last but not least, as the picture above showed, their are three spot where I think his scutes are sticking! ( I don’t know what this symptom is called but form where I come from ppl call this shell sticking) he is still fairly young but I am worried about in the long run, this will cause his shell to grow unevenly (as I know if I don’t do anything about it the sticked part will stop growing while rest of the scutes will keep on growing) Do anyone know what is this called in English so I can do research on it or maybe some of you know the treatment for it!

Apology here, but all I see is a lovely tortoise. I do not see "bad" stuff happening?

Jerry Wang

Taiwan
Apology here, but all I see is a lovely tortoise. I do not see "bad" stuff happening?
Goomo is perfectly health and active! All I was asking is his shell problems. I want him to have a perfectly smooth shell, but as shown in the pictures some of his plates are growing inward and were not very smooth!

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Hi! My name is Jerry. I have a baby Herman tortoise for a little more than a year now. His/ her name is goomo! Goomo is very healthy and seems to enjoy his life a lot. However, I recently discovered that his shell development is not very smooth. Can any of you help me identify the problems and help me fix it? View attachment 266041View attachment 266042 View attachment 266045As the photos showed, his front left and right (especially) scutes are slightly inward instead of outward! I recently just redo his enclosure and have a small fogger that constantly feed fog underneath his basking area!( to ensure it’s not too dry when under basking area, also helps to creat a better humidity throughout the whole enclosure) I also switched his diet from Mazuri to rep- cal tortoise food for higher protein content because I read a research about high protein high humidity can help repair the shape and smoothness of their shell over time! Please tell me what else I should do for him! View attachment 266046This is his new enclosure. It’s fairly large for him so I can make sure he has plenty of room to move around!View attachment 266044
I think the word your looking for in English is "Pyramiding"

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't see a problem. I see normal good growth.

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
Nothing wrong with the animal and the scute seams you’re referring to are simply a very, very, very slight anomaly and are no cause for concern. It’s simply cosmetic.

Jerry Wang

Taiwan
Nothing wrong with the animal and the scute seams you’re referring to are simply a very, very, very slight anomaly and are no cause for concern. It’s simply cosmetic.
Yes! It is just a slight anomaly growth. I am just worried abt the future. Cuz it’s always nice to reganize a problem early! Is there anything I need to do in order to prevent it from getting worst? Also I am planning on using shell saver. Any advise on how often or how to apply it on the shell?