Question about my russian tortoise

dkosnik

Location (City and/or State)
Clinton Twp, MI
I've found as time goes on he doesn't like to eat early in the day. Is this normal? I have his lights on a timer. It will go on at 9 AM until 9 PM. When he does eat, he eats quite a bit. Just curious.

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
Hum, personally, I think it depends, (insert vague here).
Some have a definite "routine" while others are all over the map. As far as my Leopard, tort Seymour is concerned, it seems like no two days are alike, Sometimes he's up and about @ 9ish, other days he's in his hidie hole for two days....I don't see a rhyme or reason.

Avuwyy

Liverpool, Merseyside
Your may be feeding them too soon after the lights come on, which may impact their drive to eat? Tortoises tend to warm themselves up before eating, I allow a few hours for my tortoise to get up and have a wander around, once I catch them basking (Around midday), I will go down and prepare their food.

dkosnik

Clinton Twp, MI
Hum, personally, I think it depends, (insert vague here).
Some have a definite "routine" while others are all over the map. As far as my Leopard, tort Seymour is concerned, it seems like no two days are alike, Sometimes he's up and about @ 9ish, other days he's in his hidie hole for two days....I don't see a rhyme or reason.

dkosnik

Clinton Twp, MI
Your may be feeding them too soon after the lights come on, which may impact their drive to eat? Tortoises tend to warm themselves up before eating, I allow a few hours for my tortoise to get up and have a wander around, once I catch them basking (Around midday), I will go down and prepare their food.
That might be the case. But since I've become accustom to his habits I normally wait to offer food.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Tortoise are grazers most important you provide fresh clean water AM and PM and fresh leaves AM and cleared away around 16.00/ 18.00 ish. I do not leave food in overnight. Speedy knows food is there and will walk over or I find him and place him on it at noon if not touched. They basically eat little and often and can go without if they do not feel hungry. Sometimes a nice freshly washed dandelion can be added and demolished which is a comfort to know he has eaten. It is invaluable to keep weekly weight logs this will show you steady growth and alert you to weight loss.

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
Tortoise are grazers most important you provide fresh clean water AM and PM and fresh leaves AM and cleared away around 16.00/ 18.00 ish. I do not leave food in overnight. Speedy knows food is there and will walk over or I find him and place him on it at noon if not touched. They basically eat little and often and can go without if they do not feel hungry. Sometimes a nice freshly washed dandelion can be added and demolished which is a comfort to know he has eaten. It is invaluable to keep weekly weight logs this will show you steady growth and alert you to weight loss.
Yes, weight logs relieve a lot of stress. I weigh Seymour Before and after a soak, so I can somewhat keep track of his pooping & water consumption.