Question about my Male herman exposing his organs into debris and dirt

chin_lee

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
WA state Pacific Northwest
So my male hermanns seem to enjoy showing off their organs but it gets dragged a bit in the dirt/mulch/shavings of which will stick to their organs when they retract it. Should I be concern about the debris being sucked back in and creating some sort of infection? I can't imagine how it must feel............ ouch......

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Don't forget. When they are in the wild, there's no one there to clean them off and they live on lots of the same kind of dirt mulch etc.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
I can not answer your question but, I am lmao at the title!

b0201.gif

chin_lee

5 Year Member
WA state Pacific Northwest
Can they retract ok?
actually that was why i posted my initial question. A few times i've noticed that the males had bark and wood debris on their extracted organ and they were walking around with their rear ends elevated. When I picked them up and noticed their organs out all dirty, I rinsed them off in their water dish and they retracted them soon after being washed. I can't say I've timed them to see how long they keep their rear ends elevated before I intervene but they must also do this when I'm not watching them and they seem to be going on with life normally.
I'm just wondering if others had this issue in which it caused some sort of infection in the event the debris doesn't come off properly

Rob99

San Diego
Sorry I shared the wrong link and it has been killing me. Here is the correct one.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If you pay attention to how the penis is drawn in, it will be wiped clean of most if not all debris. The video shown as you heard is the cause of other reasons.
Of course there's always the one in a million chance that a tort will have something stuck just the right way that it may get drawn in. Chances are he will do several attempts to get it off, drawing it in and out and it will not get all the way drawn in.
The important thing about a prolapse is to catch it quick and do not let the penis get dry. That's why this tort in the vid has dead skin that has to be taken care of, the prolapse was not caught soon enough.