Question about my baby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruchonnet

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Valley, CA
So when I got my baby tortoise I picked him cause he was the only one with the split. Why do you guys think he would be the only one to have it out of them all?
(and I know he's pyramiding. I'm doing my best to correct it)

Attachments

• image-314226703.png
    image-314226703.png
    268.8 KB · Views: 51

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That is something that happens during incubation sometimes. Usually its due to high temps and most of the time individuals with split scutes will be female, which is also associated with the higher incubation temps. It is certainly possible to have a split scuted male, but not as likely.

Ruchonnet

5 Year Member
Central Valley, CA
Tom said:
That is something that happens during incubation sometimes. Usually its due to high temps and most of the time individuals with split scutes will be female, which is also associated with the higher incubation temps. It is certainly possible to have a split scuted male, but not as likely.

Oh really? That's interesting... Why do you think he as the only one out of all of them that got it? Could he have just been in the perfect spot that got too much heat?

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Yeah it could be he was just he the warmest spot in the incubator. He also could have been in another incubator.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That's usually how it goes. One or a few might show that and the rest look normal. It is possible that that egg was closer to the heating element inside the incubator or something. I don't have an accurate answer. I don't know the why, just the what. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.