Question about Low end temps

Status
Not open for further replies.

TADitto

5 Year Member
I have a pair of sullys that are now 14 months old, I live in Phoenix, Arizona and was wondering at what age could they handle living outside all the time? They spent most of the summer outside but now that night time temps are coming down I have been bring them in at night. We get very few night here that drop below 40 to 45 degrees at night during the winter months, and currently the night temps have been around 55 to 60.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
I believe the temps you have outlined here are just too cold...I believe making sure that they have at least a cool spot of 75-78ish is more desirable...along with an area that reaches 100 for them to heat themselves up for digestion and such...

However, wait round for a bit until someone with direct hands on experience chimes on in....my post here will bump your thread back to the front...:D

TheSkipper

5 Year Member
ascott said:
I believe the temps you have outlined here are just too cold...I believe making sure that they have at least a cool spot of 75-78ish is more desirable...along with an area that reaches 100 for them to heat themselves up for digestion and such...

However, wait round for a bit until someone with direct hands on experience chimes on in....my post here will bump your thread back to the front...:D

At that age I would keep them indoors, wait till they are about 2 yrs old and then make a Tortoise house. A large Doghouse with a heat lamp is perfect for this. Once they are mature they will sleep outdoors even on cooler nights.
Gilligan is 40, he is outdoors all year round here in Chandler, AZ. He sleeps in a Dog house when it is cool, but most of the time he just picks a corner of the yard and he seems to do just fine =)
M.aspx

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I continue to bring mine in at night until they are around 8-10". At that point I move them into an appropriate outdoor enclosure with a thermostat controlled, heated shelter.

Status
Not open for further replies.