Question about heat bulb

LostSouls70

Right now we have a basking lamp and a uvb lamp, plus we have a red basking lamp at night, does he need a heat lamp at night, he lives inside and our house is always 69degrees F day and night. Any suggestions?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
He does not need any night heat at those temps.

What type of UV bulb have you got?

LostSouls70

Tom said:
He does not need any night heat at those temps.

What type of UV bulb have you got?

It was called a compact fluorescent uvb, for desert tortoises.
It's a screw in type.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The screw in type I know of are the coil type and they are bad for tortoises eyes. Stop using it ASAP.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yes those are known to sometimes burn their eyes. I would not use it. Use a long tube style florescent or a mercury vapor bulb instead.

Or even better, make him a large safe outdoor enclosure, and stop using any artificial UV bulbs indoors. Just a heat lamp is all you need. You can put him outside in his enclosure during the day during nice weather, and bring him in at night or on cold days.

LostSouls70

Tom said:
Yes those are known to sometimes burn their eyes. I would not use it. Use a long tube style florescent or a mercury vapor bulb instead.

Or even better, make him a large safe outdoor enclosure, and stop using any artificial UV bulbs indoors. Just a heat lamp is all you need. You can put him outside in his enclosure during the day during nice weather, and bring him in at night or on cold days.

Thank you very much for the info. I haven't built the ouside encloser yet, still to cold outside. But I'll change the uvb set up, thanks again