Question about calcium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paula44

5 Year Member
We got a Russian tortoise on Saturday and she has been eating like a champ since day one. We've been feeding her spring mix, watercress, kale and some carrots (loves carrots!). She devours it all! Today was the first day I sprinkled some calcium supplement on her food and it was also the first day she didn't finish her food. I am assuming it's not a coincidence. I will try it again next week and see what happens but I was just curious if there is any other way for them to get their calcium?
DSC_0023-001.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

pfara

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
Three things I can think of off the top of my head:

1. Offer plants high in calcium as part of a varied diet; 2. Add a cuttlebone into the enclosure to let the little one gnaw on it when he needs to; 3. Mix the calcium into something like moistened Mazuri where the flavor will either be masked or the Mazuri flavor overpowers the calcium.

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
ascott said:
pfara is singing good info to ya...calcium has an icky taste to it.

Thanks! I try my best to help out whenever I can. Keep the questions comin :p

Teodora'sDAD

5 Year Member
Michigan
I dip my fingers in the powder then flick a thin layer of the calcium dust over the leaves. Just put it on a little thicker every time. My girl eats it now. It doesnt smell great so im sure it doesnt taste the best either.

Status
Not open for further replies.