Queen of the cave

Tortieporty

Location (City and/or State)
East Yorkshire
Got her a new burrow cave and she’s been all over it, really happy with how she’s coming along just need her shell to fill out with more colour

Attachments

• 2807C25B-FF18-4616-81A7-07E5ACB6035B.png
    2807C25B-FF18-4616-81A7-07E5ACB6035B.png
    206.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 9520FA00-80C6-4B45-B6A1-A12AA7C2880F.png
    9520FA00-80C6-4B45-B6A1-A12AA7C2880F.png
    203.8 KB · Views: 15

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Welcome to the forum.

Please read the care sheets carefully and ask questions when in doubt.

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Got her a new burrow cave and she’s been all over it, really happy with how she’s coming along just need her shell to fill out with more colour
She looks very well - how old is she? Our Hermann's tortoise had a very marked pattern when small, which gradually faded over time rather than deepening, - don't count on the pattern becoming more coloured !
Angie (from Devon)

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Welcome to the forum.

Please read the care sheets carefully and ask questions when in doubt.
She looks very well. How old is she? Our Hermanns tortoise had a very marked pattern when he was small, but gradually lost a lot of pattern as he got older, and this seems to happen to a lot of tortoises - so don't count on hers getting deeper colours !
Angie (from Devon)

Tortieporty

East Yorkshire
She looks very well - how old is she? Our Hermann's tortoise had a very marked pattern when small, which gradually faded over time rather than deepening, - don't count on the pattern becoming more coloured !
Angie (from Devon)
Thanks for the kind comment, she’s a Horsefield and she’s around 2 years old (can’t be exact but it’s around there) I’ve been told the weird marks are minerals from water so I’m hoping they will go, I’m happy with the colour just wish the more transparent parts would fill in a little bit haha, I’m also in the U.K.

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Thanks for the kind comment, she’s a Horsefield and she’s around 2 years old (can’t be exact but it’s around there) I’ve been told the weird marks are minerals from water so I’m hoping they will go, I’m happy with the colour just wish the more transparent parts would fill in a little bit haha, I’m also in the U.K.
Hello - I didn't see the weird marks you mention, but as for the transparent bits, they will fill in over time - they are new growth, and as they colour up, there will be more appearing - this is how shells grow ! Our Hermanns is 22, and he still has transparent edges to his shell in some places - nothing to worry about. Don't try to poke them or scrub them. The marks are,as you say, probably minerals, and if you leave them alone they will go too - if not, I believe some people use coconut oil for shells, but I think it's better not to mess the growing shell about - you can find out about that eventually if necessary.
Angie