q's about my soaking dish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gerrod

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
portland, or.
how high do they like their water? hes a homes hingeback and im wondering how much of him should be submerged. also, ive tried worms, mealworms and sardines and he aint buyin it. not even 1 bite. does he really NEED the protein or is it more of a treat? it seems like ive heard mixed reviews about that. and mixed reviews about cat food as well. THANX GUYS. :)

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
If he isn't eating the protein foods, then he just doesn't want them. He'll eat them when he decides to ;)

I use a dish pan, with one side cut down about an inch and a half. I have a big flat rock in the bottom for traction, so the water depth is about 3 1/2 inches. The love to submerge with just their heads and the tops of their shells sticking out, and stay there. I have one big girl that likes to sleep there lol. Even the baby dives in and out of it. I used to keep the water shallower, but I got braver with it and they really love it.

I am putting a stream in their enclosure, like what is in my Redfoot enclosure, and I am sure they will love that too.

gerrod

5 Year Member
portland, or.
ya, ive had about 2 in. in his water pan and when he went in today he stuck his whole neck out and submerged his head for a while...it looked like he was trying to drown himself lol. anyways thats why i asked.

chairman

10 Year Member!
Mississippi
As long as they can easily climb out, you can go pretty deep. I have heard stories of hingebacks in the wild that will cross deep streams by just walking the bottom. My suggestion would be that whatever water container you use, drop your tortoise in the deepest part and watch him try to get out. If he struggles even a little, make it easier to exit by either making it more shallow or sloping the sides better. If he climbs out easy as pie, don't change a thing. Just make sure that there aren't any vertical surfaces too close to deep water, you don't want an upside down submerged tortoise.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
gerrod said:
ya, ive had about 2 in. in his water pan and when he went in today he stuck his whole neck out and submerged his head for a while...it looked like he was trying to drown himself lol. anyways thats why i asked.
Kinda scarey when they do that isn't it? It's normal, not just Hingebacks do it, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.