P1150774.jpg

The oblnga's
The couple male left female right:
P1220945.jpg

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
This is really great to see. I noticed the gloved hand in the Pancake images, nice to know I'm not the only one wearing gloves when I handle the torts. I look forward to seeing your stream of posts. I raed your intro, and see many great things happened this year for you, many eggs and hatchlings, congrats on all that.

Will

markooij82

5 Year Member
Will said:
This is really great to see. I noticed the gloved hand in the Pancake images, nice to know I'm not the only one wearing gloves when I handle the torts. I look forward to seeing your stream of posts. I raed your intro, and see many great things happened this year for you, many eggs and hatchlings, congrats on all that.

Will

Thank you Will,

In my opinion it is for my personal hygenic that i wear gloves.
Indeed it is very good year.
The Pyxis that i have i bought them as adults so getting eggs is great but getting eggs from my Malacochersus which i had at half year of age that is wonderfull it took them 5 years to give this !

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
Wow Those a are Beautiful! People really need to post more pictures of their Spider Tortoise's on here for those of us who don't have any :)

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
So great to see. I'm really happy you posted those photos. I check the Spider forum every day hoping something like this will pop up!

What are the weights of the adults you show here? The brygooi looks pretty small. Don't tell him I said that though :)

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
Looking good Martijn!!!!! Congrats on the eggs!!! Keep up the good work.

theTurtleRoom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lititz, PA
Anthony P said:
So great to see. I'm really happy you posted those photos. I check the Spider forum every day hoping something like this will pop up!

What are the weights of the adults you show here? The brygooi looks pretty small. Don't tell him I said that though :)

Agreed. SO neat to see these less-common subspecies. Beautiful torts.

markooij82

5 Year Member
Anthony P said:

Great to hear people are happy to see photo's that stimulates to post more.
The brygooi female is 310-330 grms not having eggs.
The brygooi male is indeed muts smaller and is 165 grms.
The other brygooi's are 140 grms 148grms 79 grms 5 years old and 34 grms 65 grms and 64 grms 2 years old.
The oblonga female is 360 grms
The oblonga male is 289 grms

The oblonga's:
P1230692.jpg

P1230672.jpg

P1230282.jpg

P1230213.jpg

P1230208.jpg

P1230103.jpg

P1230118.jpg

P1230099.jpg

P1220947.jpg

P1220959.jpg

The brygooi's:
P1230269.jpg

P1230286.jpg

P1230287.jpg

P1230387.jpg

P1230388.jpg

If you want to see much more pictures i allready posted on a Dutch forum take a look here:
http://schildpaddenforum.net/index.php/board,102.0.html

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Oh man! So cool! Your photos look great, and your animals look absolutely healthy as can be.

I have four P. a. arachnoides, and have had some good success so far. I have been speaking to Michael Ogle of the Knoxville Zoo recently, over my concerns regarding one of my four growing at an extremely slow rate compaared to the others. She is the most active of the group, but at 1 1/2 years, she is hovering around 30 grams, like one of your 2 year old P. a. brygooi. My other three are around 60-70 grams.

Are you concerned for your little brygooi? Have you experienced anything like this before?

Just wondering what your thoughts are on this.

Again, great photos! So grateful to see them and hear any feedback..

markooij82

5 Year Member
Anthony P said:
Oh man! So cool! Your photos look great, and your animals look absolutely healthy as can be.

I have four P. a. arachnoides, and have had some good success so far. I have been speaking to Michael Ogle of the Knoxville Zoo recently, over my concerns regarding one of my four growing at an extremely slow rate compaared to the others. She is the most active of the group, but at 1 1/2 years, she is hovering around 30 grams, like one of your 2 year old P. a. brygooi. My other three are around 60-70 grams.

Are you concerned for your little brygooi? Have you experienced anything like this before?

Thank you very much !
I think the same problem with one of the little brygooi's here.
Last year the little one whas lethargic not eating as much as it did and so one.
I seperated it for an half year and the little one came by.
This year eating like a little pig but not growing.
Everything is clean droppings are good.
I dont know what is going on.
I can go to a vet but what to do with a animal 30 grms small?
The vet i spoke said when animals are this small diagnostic is very hard for example taking blood.
Concerns i certainly have but being realistic is also a part of the game i think.
We hope every little animals grows out to be a healthy adult but is that natural ?
Dont misunderstand my point i take care all the best for my animals and try to do my very best to give them everything what they need but sometimes nature takes over i guess.
It is now going in rest something it did not do last year so lets see what next season brings.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
markooij82 said:
Anthony P said:

Thank you very much !
Last year the little one whas lethargic not eating as much as it did and so one.
The vet i spoke said when animals are this small diagnostic is very hard for example taking blood.
Concerns i certainly have but being realistic is also a part of the game i think.
We hope every little animals grows out to be a healthy adult but is that natural ?
Dont misunderstand my point i take care all the best for my animals and try to do my very best to give them everything what they need but sometimes nature takes over i guess.
It is now going in rest something it did not do last year so lets see what next season brings.

Great to hear that I'm not alone on that stuff Mark. I have seen the same things. My little one also appears healthy, eats and is active more than any others, and also has healthy fecal samples. Unlike yours, it has never gone through a lethargic period, but other than that, everything is exact.

I completely agree on your outlook. Obviously, these animals are precious, so you try everything you can. Unfortunately, things just don't work out sometimes. Natural selection I guess. I hope ours can be those stories where the runt of the litter end up defying the odds and turning things around, but who knows.

markooij82

5 Year Member
Anthony P said:
markooij82 said:
Anthony P said:

Thank you very much !

Great to hear that I'm not alone on that stuff Mark. I have seen the same things. My little one also appears healthy, eats and is active more than any others, and also has healthy fecal samples. Unlike yours, it has never gone through a lethargic period, but other than that, everything is exact.

I completely agree on your outlook. Obviously, these animals are precious, so you try everything you can. Unfortunately, things just don't work out sometimes. Natural selection I guess. I hope ours can be those stories where the runt of the litter end up defying the odds and turning things around, but who knows.
Can you tell me what Michael Ogle said about this all ?

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
markooij82 said:
Anthony P said:
markooij82 said:
Anthony P said:

Thank you very much !

Can you tell me what Michael Ogle said about this all ?

He told me about a month ago, that it was cause for some concern, and that if the problem persists, i should seperate the little one.

I have my four which are very small size, in a Medium Waterland Tub, which is roughly 2 by 1 meters in size. They have five hides and tons of live plants. Like I said, this little guy is most active of the group by far. He's constatly eating while the other three are hiding, so I don't know how much seperation would help at this time. I'd be shocked if the other three botherd the little one at all.

markooij82

5 Year Member
I thought I keep it separated but since they 'stimulate' each other in activity eating and so on I keep it in the group.
Only when an animal starting to show strange behaviour i separate it. Changing causes a lot of stress.

Big enclosure! Even for adults very big!
Do you have pictures of it?
What kind of plants you have in your enclosure?

Benjamin

5 Year Member
zone 7b
One of six P.a.brygooi I raised for a few years also grew at a very slow rate. It did have some health issues early in life. It ate as the others did, simply grew very slowly and with a very high domed carapace.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Very interesting Ben.. My little one has a flatter carapace if anything.. But still interesting. I tell you guys, I sure am a bot relieved to hear that my seemingly healthy, but miniature Spider is not alone.

Mark, I will have to get some photos to this forum. I will take some new ones and start a new thread soon. I like that it's so big for them, as I won't have to change it on them, and, since Spiders require less space, even for their small size, I can add more animals later. All of mine were incubated for female, so I probably will need to add males.

For plants, I have spider plants, a couple succulents and Sanserveria. I just found a potted opuntia Cactus at a Christmas tree place yesterday! I plan to replant that in organic soul, then add it to their digs..

markooij82

5 Year Member
Hello Benjamin
Is that particular brygooi still alive?
Do you know how much it grow?
Here the brygooi also has pyramiding from the start I guess something different happend during incubation I don't know.

Anthony do you know the incubation technique provided for your Pyxis? Did not know there already is a tsd known for this species.
I am very interested in pictures of your enclosure!

Status
Not open for further replies.