Pyxis arachnoides arachnoides

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
Hey everyone,

First, I'd like to mention that I have been becoming more active on this forum, and I absolutely love it. Very nice to see so many people with such extensive knowledge of tortoises.

I wanted to share my pride and joy with you guys. These photos are of my spiders and their habitat, with a special guest in the shot of them getting their bath. Hope you like...

Anthony

Attachments

• IMG_0368.JPG
    IMG_0368.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 140
  • IMG_0376.JPG
    IMG_0376.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 145
  • IMG_0382.JPG
    IMG_0382.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 126
  • IMG_0383.JPG
    IMG_0383.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 107
  • IMG_0384.JPG
    IMG_0384.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 101

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
Very nice Anthony!! There is NOTHING like a Pyxis!!! Are these listed in the Pyxis arachnoides studbook? Who produced them? I am working with Michael right now to get my adults listed. The studbook is very important for this species.

theTurtleRoom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lititz, PA
Tim/Robin said:
Very nice Anthony!! There is NOTHING like a Pyxis!!! Are these listed in the Pyxis arachnoides studbook? Who produced them? I am working with Michael right now to get my adults listed. The studbook is very important for this species.

Not to steal Ant's thunder, but, yes, his animals are studbook listed. They came from Michael, actually.

A number of other shots of his Pyxis can be found here:

http://theturtleroom.com/projects/anthony-projects/pyxis-arachnoides-arachnoides4/

http://theturtleroom.com/educationa...leries/pyxis-arachnoides-arachnoides-gallery/

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Didnt think id ever see many pics of these..how many do you keep? Stunning....

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Thanks guys! I appreciate the responses, and Steve, I appreciate your answering Tim's question in a more immediate fashion than I could have.

I have four of these little guys. As I mentioned in another thread, three of them are growing quite rapidly, and the fourth and youngest little one is growing quite slow actually. The smallest one is the tortoise that is closest to the viewer in those shots where they are eating together.

I don't know if you can discern in these photos, but three of the group also have split scutes. They were all incubated for female, according to Michael, so I wonder if the artificial incubation methods led to the splitting. Doesn't bother me a bit though. I love them just the same, and the split scutes have helped me learn to tell the different animals apart at a glance.

Thanks again guys!

Anthony

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Even without split scutes, for which I have a huge weakness for, those are very nice. I keep thinking that those are something I would like to check into trying my hand at keeping.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Jacqui said:
I keep thinking that those are something I would like to check into trying my hand at keeping.

In my experience, they're not as tough to raise as their reputation says. I started with healthy CB hatchlings, and never looked back. You do have to realize that they do go through some dormant periods quite often, much more than other species, but once you get used to it, it's not too bad.

By my standards, I took a bit of a chance to try them out, and I couldn't be happier with that decision.

theTurtleRoom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lititz, PA
As a note - I have just added more of Anthony's P.a.a. pictures to both links listed above! There is now a section on the project page with habitat pictures, as well!

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
momo said:
hi and happy holidays. you have a real nice family there. love the pics.

Thanks! We need to become friends.. I'm in CT as well. I'd love to hear about your experiences with your pancakes up here! It's not easy to do the tortoise thing up here in the Nutmeg State :D

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
Thank you for sharing us your spider torts. They are beautiful.

So you use turtle tub for torts enclosure, that might work also for me :D

Benjamin

5 Year Member
zone 7b
I am looking forward to joining the pyxis club in 2013,

Status
Not open for further replies.