Pyramiding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssydney

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix, Arizona
My Redfoots shell is starting to pyramid more than I think is okay... How can I stop this? Does it stay forever?

blafiriravt

5 Year Member
Vermont
THere are a bunch of factors that could trigger pyramiding. Humidity, hydration, nutrition, lighting and stress are big ones. Do you have pictures? Of both the tort and the enclosure?

Nixxy

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
Pyramiding does stay forever. It's not "correctable", but you can stop it from progressing.

It is, in most cases strictly cosmetic. However, it can be a telling sign that you need to adjust one of the following mentioned by Blafiria.

ssydney

5 Year Member
Phoenix, Arizona

Attachments

• image-3189237947.png
    image-3189237947.png
    238.2 KB · Views: 57
  • image-2700821505.png
    image-2700821505.png
    271.9 KB · Views: 54
  • image-2213628480.png
    image-2213628480.png
    228 KB · Views: 46
  • image-2114194525.png
    image-2114194525.png
    250.1 KB · Views: 61
  • image-2677354482.png
    image-2677354482.png
    153 KB · Views: 62
  • image-3887967185.png
    image-3887967185.png
    190.5 KB · Views: 44
  • image-2252820576.png
    image-2252820576.png
    165.6 KB · Views: 46
  • image-1708235146.png
    image-1708235146.png
    193.9 KB · Views: 43
  • image-2384733221.png
    image-2384733221.png
    160.1 KB · Views: 50

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Your pics did not show up. Redfoots need a higher humidity. Make sure that is where it is suppose to be. If you are feeding properly and a variety, I would guess it is humidity. Unless of course that is where it is suppose to be. Then it may have to do with the start it got before she came to you. Get everything correct it her husbandry and she will start to grow smooth.

ssydney

5 Year Member
Phoenix, Arizona
image-3968175513.png

This is her habitat.

wellington said:
Your pics did not show up. Redfoots need a higher humidity. Make sure that is where it is suppose to be. If you are feeding properly and a variety, I would guess it is humidity. Unless of course that is where it is suppose to be. Then it may have to do with the start it got before she came to you. Get everything correct it her husbandry and she will start to grow smooth.

Do the pictures show up now?

Attachments

• image-1233872076.png
    image-1233872076.png
    160.1 KB · Views: 31

mightymizz

5 Year Member
Does your tortoise have a cooler area to go to?

How do you maintain a higher level of humidity with that setup?

It just looks very hot and dry to me. Does he have a hide?

Redfoots for the most part live on the edges of rainforests. They are NOT a desert tortoise. Just some thoughts to keep in mind.

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario
She doesnt look to to bad. Higher humidity will help with the shell growth

ssydney

5 Year Member
Phoenix, Arizona
mightymizz said:
Does your tortoise have a cooler area to go to?

Yes she has a log that I put in when she isn't in her water. She loves her water so much though that she Only uses her log at night and will move everything if the water isn't there.

How do you maintain a higher level of humidity with that setup?

I used to have the zoo med humidifier but it broke. Now I just use a handheld spray bottle and spray it every hour. Any humidifier recommendations?

It just looks very hot and dry to me. Does he have a hide?

I had just sprayed the chips about 10 minutes before, and I'm on my iPad taking pictures so they aren't great. She has a log but she only uses it to climb on top of it.

Redfoots for the most part live on the edges of rainforests. They are NOT a desert tortoise. Just some thoughts to keep in mind.

I answered all the questions in the quote and it just shows up in blue. Please read them.^

I tried using the coconut substrate, the one that looked like dark soil, and it was super messy. It would get all over her face and since she loves her water it always sticking to her and getting inside her bowl. Any substrate recommendations? Thanks.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
tyguy35 said:
She doesnt look to to bad. Higher humidity will help with the shell growth

I agree. My little Moby was worse, and I'm confident he'll turn out fine.

Check out the thread in my signature to see how my baby RFs are set-up.

ssydney said:
I tried using the coconut substrate, the one that looked like dark soil, and it was super messy. It would get all over her face and since she loves her water it always sticking to her and getting inside her bowl. Any substrate recommendations? Thanks.

Tortoises are going to get messy. Get used to it. Any substrate you use will be tracked into the water bowl.

I personally used a mixture of cypress mulch and the coconut coir. Still retains humidity well and they can burrow in it okay, but it reduces the chances of it sticking to them. Not really a big concern of mine either way, but it is something I noticed in comparison when I was using straight coco coir.

ssydney

5 Year Member
Phoenix, Arizona
emysemys said:
Hi Sidney:

I'm sorry to say that your habitat is way too small for the tortoise of that size. It is also way too open. Have you seen some of TerryO's habitat pictures? They are heavily planted to provide many hiding places and lots of humidity.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Pio-s-new-vivarium#axzz21pgtlTsy

Hi, this habitat is only temporary for a little bit because I just moved into a rental home until my new house is built. Dewey has a bigger habitat outdoors and I bring her outside to play in it. In the new house I will build an outdoors enclosure. But for now she is only in this for a little bit until I find a better enclosure, and finish settling in.

StudentoftheReptile said:
I agree. My little Moby was worse, and I'm confident he'll turn out fine.

Check out the thread in my signature to see how my baby RFs are set-up.

Tortoises are going to get messy. Get used to it. Any substrate you use will be tracked into the water bowl.

I personally used a mixture of cypress mulch and the coconut coir. Still retains humidity well and they can burrow in it okay, but it reduces the chances of it sticking to them. Not really a big concern of mine either way, but it is something I noticed in comparison when I was using straight coco coir.

Alright thank you I will try that. Do you just pick yours up at the gardening store? And if so, how much does it cost there?

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama

mightymizz

5 Year Member
I am a big fan of the Mosser Lee Sphagnum Moss for substrates. It allows them to burrow, supposedly doesn't cause impaction, and is great for spraying down and releasing moisture to help for humidity, and also inhibits mold and fungus growth, and it is completely bug free from my experience.

I just usually have to sift through the block of moss to take out the long little sticks and such that is sometimes seen in the block of moss.

Status
Not open for further replies.