pyramiding question

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookwurm1982

5 Year Member
Ok so if you are looking for pyramiding do I look at the scute or the brown line that goes around the scute? Sorry this is my first tort and just making sure he isn't starting to pyramid. I don't think he is but just wondering what the first signs would be. Thanks for any info.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
You look at the outer edge of each scute. If it is growing out and at the same level as the previous growth, then no pyramiding. If it is raised and stepping up, then you have pyramiding.

Post some clear close up profile pics, and we'll have a look see.

bookwurm1982

5 Year Member
Tom said:
You look at the outer edge of each scute. If it is growing out and at the same level as the previous growth, then no pyramiding. If it is raised and stepping up, then you have pyramiding.

Post some clear close up profile pics, and we'll have a look see.

Ok so I am including a couple pictures and I hope you are able to tell. I'm not even sure if he has had new growth yet. Not sure how long it takes for them to grow new "stuff". I guess it just kind of looks like the brown line around the scutes looks more raised than the scutes. I hope that makes sense. Maybe its just me being paranoid.

Attachments

• 017.JPG
    017.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 95
  • 019.JPG
    019.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 77

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
His first growth line is a little raised. Was he started dry? The next four lines all look smooth and great. Whatever you are doing is working great. Keep doing it for another 6-8 months at least. The new growth area is the lighter colored area at the margins of each scute.

bookwurm1982

5 Year Member
Tom said:
His first growth line is a little raised. Was he started dry? The next four lines all look smooth and great. Whatever you are doing is working great. Keep doing it for another 6-8 months at least. The new growth area is the lighter colored area at the margins of each scute.

Ok great, thanks for you reply. I got him from tortoise supply so I don't think he was kept dry but not sure he was kept as moist as he is now. Oh and my next question was how long to keep him so moist but you already answered that. Thanks :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tyler does not keep hatchlings as "wet" as I do, but he does a good job. You should have no health issues with your baby.

I keep up the wet routine until they reach about 4" then I back off on the daily soaks gradually. I start by skipping an occasional day, and by the time they reach 6-8" I am only soaking them 2 or three times a week. Once I move them outside at 8-10", I soak once a week in winter and twice a week in hot weather, but always have drinking water available. Its very dry here, so I find it necessary to continue soaking. I even soak my adults in the summer.

If you can get them to 6-8" and still smooth, your pyramiding worries are over. Other species take longer.

bookwurm1982

5 Year Member
Tom said:
Tyler does not keep hatchlings as "wet" as I do, but he does a good job. You should have no health issues with your baby.

I keep up the wet routine until they reach about 4" then I back off on the daily soaks gradually. I start by skipping an occasional day, and by the time they reach 6-8" I am only soaking them 2 or three times a week. Once I move them outside at 8-10", I soak once a week in winter and twice a week in hot weather, but always have drinking water available. Its very dry here, so I find it necessary to continue soaking. I even soak my adults in the summer.

If you can get them to 6-8" and still smooth, your pyramiding worries are over. Other species take longer.

Ok great, well he is growing like a weed so he will be that big in no time. Right now we live in Fl and in the summer it is hot but it is also very humid so that will be good for him. Thanks again for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.