Pyramiding or just growing ?

Location (City and/or State)
Boyertown pa
I got a baby sulcata tort about five months ago. Hes been my baby ever since. I take him outside. He gets food from outside mixed lettuce spring to be exact rose petals and cactuses. Not all at once lol. I feed him once a day and give him a bath every other. Gets calcium twice a week. I keep his tank in the day 80-100 and usually 65 at night and i spray his walls to keep in moisture. How can i keep his tank more humid ? Is he pyramiding he had large brown gaps ?

image.png image.png image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Boyertown pa

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Does he look like he's pyramiding?

He is small for his age, which is typical of dry started babies. In order to pyramid, they must grow. Yours hasn't grown much, so it hasn't pyramided much. The new growth does not look terrible, but the big notch between the scutes is an indicator that things are much too dry. Do not add moisture without adding night heat first. This is all in the care sheets.

The best way to raise them is to simulate the wet, warm, rainy, humid, monsoon conditions that they hatch into in the wild. 75 is too cool for wet conditions. Keep it at least 80 overnight. This is best accomplished with a ceramic heating element set on a reptile thermostat. Need links to that stuff?

GingerLove

5 Year Member
Your tortoise looks beautiful! He doesn't look like he is pyramiding to me, but if you want to keep him looking like the cutie he is, then I'd suggest taking all of the advice above very seriously! :) Congrats, he's going to grow into a beautiful big boy! Or girl. ;)

Boyertown pa
When i got him around march he was about 2 1/2 now hes about 4 inches so he has started growing. Should i be feed him more then once a day ? I know i neeed a night lamp but what temp ? Im gonna go out today before work and get one. Mr tortty needs a happy healthy life hes very active and a good part of my familiyl

Boyertown pa
Well thank you so much hes a little boy i can already tell in his little man additude lol. Hes very cute he has a grumpy old man face but hes happy as can be

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes, slightly. Get her in a humid environment 80% with temps no lower then 80 and she should start to grow smooth. When she's bigger, you won't even notice that she has pyramided.

Boyertown pa
Hoe can i raise it more i soray the tank and keep his log hut nice and moist and have. A night lamp fot him what else can i do to make it more humid

surfergirl

what kind of substrate is he on? have you read all of Tom's articles on proper sulcata care listed under tortoise species, African, sulacata?
all the information you need is right there. I have been using these care instructions and I have had great success so far with smooth shells and healthy torts! nice looking sully you have and if you start using their care suggestions you will not be able to see this small amount of pyramiding when he starts growing smooth.

Alexio

Syracuse, New York
Posting pictures of your enclosure would be helpful. But it's really about having a substrate that holds and releases moisture. Then having a lid on the top of the tank/ enclosure to keep the moist humid air inside.
This is an example of a 55 gallon tank with a homemade lid to keep in humidity and warm air.