pyramid question

Status
Not open for further replies.

lemondog

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
indio ca.
Hi all new to site , adopted a 40 lb. sulcata 3 weeks ago, he has adapted well even though I moved him from so. ca to so. cal. desert, about a 30 degree increase in temp. Just wondering if someone can tell me how bad his pyramiding is, I have been feeding him citri-cal and cuttle bone a couple times a week, other then that he grazes on burmuda grass.

Attachments

• Copy of IMG_0125.JPG
    Copy of IMG_0125.JPG
    682 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_0127.JPG
    IMG_0127.JPG
    823 KB · Views: 66

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
The pyramiding that you see is all old, and happened when he was younger. He has very good new growth and looks very good to me.

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
Not bad at all. He looks healthy now. I say it just gives him personality and as long as you love him does it really matter:) My bigger one has a lot worse pyramiding and MBD but since I rescued her 9 months ago I can't imagine not having her. She is a joy and so friendly and loves people even though she was not always treated so good.

lemondog

5 Year Member
indio ca.
lemondog said:
Hi all new to site , adopted a 40 lb. sulcata 3 weeks ago, he has adapted well even though I moved him from so. ca to so. cal. desert, about a 30 degree increase in temp. Just wondering if someone can tell me how bad his pyramiding is, I have been feeding him citri-cal and cuttle bone a couple times a week, other then that he grazes on burmuda grass.

Thanks for the info I forgot to say( he?) is 8 years old

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
His pyramiding is less than typical for an 8 year old sulcata. He looks good.

I've thought about using citri-cal for tortoises before, but haven't found anything that says its okay for them. Did you read that somewhere? Nothing wrong with calcium supplementation, but make sure he's good and hydrated. There seems to be anecdotal evidence between urinary stone formation and dehydration. Either way, it won't hurt anything to soak him once in a while and offer drinking water all the time. I don't usually supplement adult males with calcium, but I am in no way saying that you shouldn't.

Congrats on the new tortoise.

lemondog

5 Year Member
indio ca.
Tom said:
His pyramiding is less than typical for an 8 year old sulcata. He looks good.

I've thought about using citri-cal for tortoises before, but haven't found anything that says its okay for them. Did you read that somewhere? Nothing wrong with calcium supplementation, but make sure he's good and hydrated. There seems to be anecdotal evidence between urinary stone formation and dehydration. Either way, it won't hurt anything to soak him once in a while and offer drinking water all the time. I don't usually supplement adult males with calcium, but I am in no way saying that you shouldn't.

Congrats on the new tortoise.

I did read where it said to feed them citi-cal maybe on sulcata station, not sure, he has plenty of water and I hose him down when I catch him outside, he only comes out about an hour a day since it is so hot, he also has a water dish and I do see him drinking every time he is out.

Status
Not open for further replies.