Constipated

Wewt

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
British Columbia, Canada
Hey, guys.

So whenever my tort ate a cuttle bone he would have a hard poop a few days later with chunks of cuttle bone in it. I decided to stop feeding him cuttle bones because of this.

Later I found out that he might not be properly metabolizing the cuttle bones because his temps were off. So I built him a hot room in the garage where he stays at 28-30 degrees celsius. The humidity ranges from 30-60%.

After a month of the hot room I decided to try again. He gobbled the cuttle bone down so fast-- must be needing the calcium. Convinced the heat thing was working, I gave him another cuttle bone. He gobbled this half way and then ate the rest later. I wasn't worried.

Well... he's so super constipated. :( I swear he weighs an extra 5 lbs. I've been giving him lots of wet foods and soaking him in warm water. He makes his poo face and pushes, but nothing. :( He is usually so active and rambunctious, but now he lazes under his light and sleeps. He looks so depressed.

Does anyone have any tips? I was thinking of syringing water up his back-end, but I'm not sure. :/ I called my vet and she told me to try and make him exercise, so I've got him in the tub now (he always tries to escape by walking up the side).

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
Hey wewt! Nice to hear from you, sorry you are having problems.

Ask her to Rx you some Lactulose. It's about 1ml per 5 lbs. my Mo, with his injured beak needs it often. It will often up the stool. Also, you can give him a gentle Lactulose enema. It sucks but it works. Plus, it's pumpkin time. So give him as much as he will consume.

Have you see Oliver, my 50# Sulcata that lives inside with me? I've read all your posts on indoor living. He's going outside ones spring comes, but since it's at freezing level during the tonight, he lives inside.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Some cucumber may help as it's mostly water. When he's better, take the cuttlebone and scrape it onto his food instead of letting him eat it. Also, do you have a basking spot for him that is at least 95 or more? Sorry, I don't do temps in celsius. They can't digest their food properly without the higher temps.

Wewt

5 Year Member
British Columbia, Canada
Sulcata_Sandy said:
Hey wewt! Nice to hear from you, sorry you are having problems.

Ask her to Rx you some Lactulose. It's about 1ml per 5 lbs. my Mo, with his injured beak needs it often. It will often up the stool. Also, you can give him a gentle Lactulose enema. It sucks but it works. Plus, it's pumpkin time. So give him as much as he will consume.

Have you see Oliver, my 50# Sulcata that lives inside with me? I've read all your posts on indoor living. He's going outside ones spring comes, but since it's at freezing level during the tonight, he lives inside.

Thanks, Sandy!

I'll talk to my vet soon about that laxative. I can't stand to see my baby like this. I'll try feeding him pumpkin and cucumber, too. I know he won't turn it down, but I'm afraid of just adding to the pile that must be building up inside of him.

He's not even exploring any more... I put him out somewhere new and he just tries to find a place to sleep. :( Breaking my heart.

wellington said:
Some cucumber may help as it's mostly water. When he's better, take the cuttlebone and scrape it onto his food instead of letting him eat it. Also, do you have a basking spot for him that is at least 95 or more? Sorry, I don't do temps in celsius. They can't digest their food properly without the higher temps.

I'll try the cucumber and definitely only scrape the cuttle bone. Or even break it into little pieces. I'm not sure about his basking temps- according to the bulb it should be around 30-40 degrees, which is around the required temps.

Sulcata_Sandy said:
I also recently learned that both cactus pads and aloe Vera help with constipation.

Yeah, my mom is coming to visit me next week and we are going to go garden-crazy. I've got cactus pads and aloe vera on the list of plants to buy, for sure.

What is the species name for the particular cactus pads that they like? I don't want to make a mistake and get the wrong kind.

So far this is my plant list:
- Aloe Vera
- Begonia
- Portulaca
- Chinese Lantern
- Gazania
- Petunias

_______

I should also add that he has been drinking a LOT of water and have given him long, warm soaks, but this has not helped him with his bowels. He also hasn't peed any of it out. :(

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
The above suggestions are great. Have you tried the warm soaks in the tub? where he can walk and walk and go nowhere and that continual movement will help move things along, and outta there ...

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
You can also use mineral oil....inject some into a yummy treat that is bite sized and I would do this a few times per day....also, I would do LONG LONG LONG warm water soaks (like no less than an hour) and I would do this a couple times per day...

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Oh, opuntia for the cactus pads. And suggestion, use a box grater for the cuttlebone in the future. There was a thread a few days ago about a little Russian that actually cut her tongue with the cuttle bone. All better now, but scary for a while, until it finally healed.

Wewt

5 Year Member
British Columbia, Canada
Hey! Great news!

WE HAVE POOP! And lots of it! I gave him a long warm soak two days in a row and then fed him some pumpkin and put him inside for him to run around, got him chasing veggies, and that worked it out of him.

I haven't found chunks of cuttle bone, so either he can digest it properly or that is all still lodged up in there.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Gotta LOVE a forum where everyone gets excited about poop!!!:p

TommyZ

5 Year Member
Sounds weird to say, but I'm glad you're having a "crappy" situation....lol. Glad to hear that you both are feeling better. Good job by you, we'll done.