Purple (raspberry like) growth on bottom of Baby Sulcata

Status
Not open for further replies.

namdsibor

5 Year Member
There is a purple (raspberry like) growth on bottom of my Baby Sulcata Tortoise I just received. Does anyone have any idea what this could be? Is it a growth, or is it something that is on all newborns and falls off?

Thanks,
Rob

Attachments

• 0720011445.jpg
    0720011445.jpg
    204.9 KB · Views: 117

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
yes that's what it looks like.

It doesn't look like it absorbed completely. I'm new at the newborn stuff. But I probably wouldn't put it on any substrate (bedding). Maybe moist paper towels instead.

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
namdsibor said:
What is a yolk sack?

It's what is attached to the baby while inside of the egg like an umbilical cord. It has to be absorbed completely before the baby is removed from the incubator or other moist warm area.

namdsibor

5 Year Member
Right now I just have the substrate as newspaper on the very bottom with a good bit of orchard hay/grass on top.

Is that okay? Should I avoid dirt? (I was wondering the reason you suggested moist paper towels.)

Fernando said:

It doesn't look like it absorbed completely. I'm new at the newborn stuff. But I probably wouldn't put it on any substrate (bedding). Maybe moist paper towels instead.

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
namdsibor said:
Right now I just have the substrate as newspaper on the very bottom with a good bit of orchard hay/grass on top.

Is that okay? Should I avoid dirt? (I was wondering the reason you suggested moist paper towels.)

Fernando said:

I'd be afraid of keeping the hay stuff because it's too dry and you'd also run the risk of infecting that area. Who did you get this tortoise from? Did you purchase from a pet store? Usually a pet store or any other breeder will wait at least a week before they sell a baby like that.

Others might have better Ideas. Just sit for a few for them to answer.

namdsibor

5 Year Member
Fernando said:
namdsibor said:

Fernando said:

I'd be afraid of keeping the hay stuff because it's too dry and you'd also run the risk of infecting that area. Who did you get this tortoise from? Did you purchase from a pet store? Usually a pet store or any other breeder will wait at least a week before they sell a baby like that.

Thanks for the quick reply... I am glad to hear it is not a growth, but now I just need confirmation on how to help aid this little yolk sac.

Oh, I ordered it online from freshmarine.com

namdsibor

5 Year Member
Fernando said:
namdsibor said:

Fernando said:

Thanks for the quick reply... I will continue to check-in to hear others responses. Now that we seemed to have confirmed it is a Yolk Sac, it would be great to get confirmation on how I should aid this baby Sulcata. Do I keep him on dry orchard grass, or put in wet paper towels as suggested? Should I add dirt or is that not good for a baby?

Guggie

10 Year Member!
Vernon Hills, IL
I think the idea is to keep it clean and to keep it from snagging on something... but I'm not an expert.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Rob:

(Are you "d man?" rob is d man backwards!!)

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

That is not a growth per se...it is what's left over from the yolk sac from when the baby was in the egg. Its not usual to see it looking like that. Be careful of it. Hopefully it will dry out and fall off on its own.

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Missouri
Hi, you asked how you should aid your baby sulcata. after the yolk sack dries up and falls off id suggest you use Tom's care sheet. (Tom is a memeber here that has been keep sulcatas for a very long time and is always perfecting their health and shell growth.) It is the best way to make your little guy happy and healty. good luck with the new guy!

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
That hatchling should be kept moist to allow the continued absorption of the umbilicus and in hopes that it will fully unfold. I would suggest putting it on very damp paper towels in a closed plastic shoe box or similar. I use the rectangular ZipLoc/Glad medium-sized plastic containers with the lid sealed. You can leave the tabbed corner unsealed to allow air circulation. I keep them sealed and open them once a day to introduce fresh air.

If kept moist & warm, the umbilicus should heal in a few days. I'm not sure whether it will fully unfold...

If I received a tort in that condition, I would send a SEETHING e-mail to the vendor asking them why they would ship a tort that has been no more than 2 - 3 days out of the egg!

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
I agree Art that that tortoise is less than a week out of the egg as it hasn't even straightened out yet. The remain of the yolk sack look to have dried out so won't be absorbed. It should though dry, heal and fall off. Keeping it humid is fine, but I'd put a triple antibiotic ointment on the spot until it falls off. This will help in the healing process.

Danny

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
HLogic said:
That hatchling should be kept moist to allow the continued absorption of the umbilicus and in hopes that it will fully unfold. I would suggest putting it on very damp paper towels in a closed plastic shoe box or similar. I use the rectangular ZipLoc/Glad medium-sized plastic containers with the lid sealed. You can leave the tabbed corner unsealed to allow air circulation. I keep them sealed and open them once a day to introduce fresh air.

If kept moist & warm, the umbilicus should heal in a few days. I'm not sure whether it will fully unfold...

If I received a tort in that condition, I would send a SEETHING e-mail to the vendor asking them why they would ship a tort that has been no more than 2 - 3 days out of the egg!

egyptiandan said:
I agree Art that that tortoise is less than a week out of the egg as it hasn't even straightened out yet. The remain of the yolk sack look to have dried out so won't be absorbed. It should though dry, heal and fall off. Keeping it humid is fine, but I'd put a triple antibiotic ointment on the spot until it falls off. This will help in the healing process.

Danny

Thanks!

+1 I'm glad I learned something new today! :)

namdsibor

5 Year Member
Fernando said:
HLogic said:

egyptiandan said:

Danny

Triple Antibiotic Ointment??? Is that safe for reptiles?

Wow, it seems this forum is divided on the humid VS dry conditioning... I like the diversity, but it's not making it easier on my decision. Also, It seems some people have suggested to let it dry and fall off, while others say keep it moist.

Thanks,
Rob
Phila, PA

wrmitchell22

5 Year Member
Southeast Arizona
Don't we have Sulcata breeders on here? Come on guys help him out :) I would take the words of a breeder and unfourtunatley you will just have to choose which way to go and stick with it. Once the baby is ready to be put on substarte I recommend cyprus mulch :) but for now it seems no substrate. Good Luck, I hope you get the assistance you need.

wrmitchell22 said:
Don't we have Sulcata breeders on here? Come on guys help him out :) I would take the words of a breeder and unfourtunatley you will just have to choose which way to go and stick with it. Once the baby is ready to be put on substarte I recommend cyprus mulch :) but for now it seems no substrate. Good Luck, I hope you get the assistance you need.

BTW, did you ever tell us where the baby came from, I would not use that place again, not very responsible on their part! :(

namdsibor

5 Year Member
wrmitchell22 said:

wrmitchell22 said:

BTW, did you ever tell us where the baby came from, I would not use that place again, not very responsible on their part! :(

freshmarine dot com

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
wrmitchell22 said:
Don't we have Sulcata breeders on here? Come on guys help him out :)

I would take EgyptianDan's advice any day of the week. If he says to put NeoSporin on it, that's certainly what I'd do.

Status
Not open for further replies.