purchasing cactus....?

lismar79

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
I am looking to buy a (spineless) opuntia cactus, to grow or already growing, for winter feeding. Would want organic, chem free, so I can feed as soon as possible. I transplanted a pad i bought but not seeing any growth on it. Any one you can recommend would be great.

turtlemanfla88

If you lived in Florida I would give you some. Once you plant it you ca not start using it right away. Also, they grow a lot slower in winter than in Spring or Summer. I grow spineless and ones with spines I cut spines off or burn them off with a small butane torch before feeding. I recommend you might find pricky pear cactus by posting ad on craiglist or find a spanish food/grocery store that specialize. I know of people who ate the pads and the fruit also, called tuna. If you buy a lot it should be fine keep it dry. Another suggestion it take some and make a desert in an aquarium with heat lamp and grow lamp and see if you can grow them that way.

AmRoKo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
I found opuntia pads at a big farmers market nearby, I stuck one in the cactus mixture I make and I noticed it kept swelling and getting bigger until finally it started producing babies. I think it was about a month of it just swelling up before the new growth showed up.