The BEST Prickly Pear Cactus EVER!

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SoCal
You remember when I told you all about the spineless opuntia some 4 years ago? Well, this is the best find yet! The seller refers to it as OLD MEXICO spineless opuntia (Opuntia gomei)...and it's outrageous! No spines, no glocchids! And you see the scabs? Everyone of them produces fruit! This thing grows fast...and get this...the pads can be over 24" inches long! Because I'm not too greedy, I'm gonna provide a link...this link will show you smaller pads...but check out her other auctions link...and every couple weeks, you'll see a monster pad up for auction. Gave Tom one a month ago or so...maybe he can chime in on how his is doing?!?!?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Old-Mexico-...573?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c3eabcc0d

$(KGrHqVHJBkFIV4vdS!1BSK68DPMk!~~60_57.JPG$T2eC16JHJGUFFhvgmpMVBSK672d8pw~~60_57.JPG

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Columbia, SC
Thanks for posting this...my plant of the older spineless variety got crushed in the move. Definitely starting some of this!

parrotlady

5 Year Member
I bought from her, ordered 1 pad and she sent 3, I was so happy. All three pads have rooted, bloomed and have started new pads. I have to admit though my leopards knocked over one of the pots and not much was left of the pad and it is doing very well now. So here is my recommendation also!:)

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Columbia, SC
Just got mine in the mail, I got 2 pads in the box plus some blooms. Any propagation tips?
1erQgyy.png

Vvt6C6e.png

AmRoKo

5 Year Member
Florida
Just got mine in the mail, I got 2 pads in the box plus some blooms. Any propagation tips?
1erQgyy.png

Vvt6C6e.png
Stick them in the ground, let them dry out between watering. Basically you can just stick them in the ground and let mother nature do the work for you unless your in a complete drought or in an area that gets rain too often (can't dry out between watering's often enough). If your in a area that rains a lot plant them in a very well draining mixture.

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Columbia, SC
Stick them in the ground, let them dry out between watering. Basically you can just stick them in the ground and let mother nature do the work for you unless your in a complete drought or in an area that gets rain too often (can't dry out between watering's often enough). If your in a area that rains a lot plant them in a very well draining mixture.

Thanks, we do get a lot of rain but I bought a bag of cactus mix so it should work out.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Let the pad dry for 24- 48 hours . I plant mine in straight compost let it sit for week in the soil . Then give it 8-10 oz of water then after a week give it about 6oz of water about once a week then in the fall put it in the shed no water but about once a month give it a shot glass of water . Then in the spring bring it out into the light and give it about 6 oz of water every week and you should get blooms on it . After the blooms die your green fruit should start getting red give your torts the red fruit they will love it . Good luck !

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Columbia, SC
Let the pad dry for 24- 48 hours . I plant mine in straight compost let it sit for week in the soil . Then give it 8-10 oz of water then after a week give it about 6oz of water about once a week then in the fall put it in the shed no water but about once a month give it a shot glass of water . Then in the spring bring it out into the light and give it about 6 oz of water every week and you should get blooms on it . After the blooms die your green fruit should start getting red give your torts the red fruit they will love it . Good luck !

Thanks!

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Your very welcome good luck with your new cactus child :)