Pumpkin Seed Benefit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Radiated

5 Year Member
What are some benefits of pumpkin seeds?
Like what is good about them? Calcium? Vitamins? Worms?

Thanks

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
a good source of Thiamin, Niacin, Vitamin B6, Folate, Pantothenic Acid, Iron, Magnesium and Phosphorus, and a very good source of Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin E (Alpha Tocopherol), Riboflavin, Potassium, Copper and Manganese.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2600/2

Health & Nutrition Benefits of Eating Pumpkin
Pumpkin is very rich in carotenoids, which is known for keeping the immune system of an individual strong and healthy.
Beta-carotene, found in pumpkin, is a powerful antioxidant as well as an anti-inflammatory agent. It helps prevent build up of cholesterol on the arterial walls, thus reducing chances of strokes.
Being rich in alpha-carotene, pumpkin is believed to slow the process of aging and also prevent cataract formation.
Pumpkins have been known to reduce the risk of macular degeneration, a serious eye problem than usually results in blindness.
The high amount of fiber, present in a pumpkin, is good for the bowel health of an individual.
Being loaded with potassium, pumpkin is associated with lowering the risk of hypertension.
The presence of zinc in pumpkins boosts the immune system and also improves the bone density.
Health & Nutrition Benefits of Pumpkin Seeds
They promote overall prostate health, apart from alleviating the problem of difficult urination that is associated with an enlarged prostate.
They comprise of L-tryptophan, a compound that has been found to be effective against depression.
They are believed to serve as a natural protector against osteoporosis.
They have been known to reduce inflammation, without causing the side effects of anti-inflammatory drugs.
Studies have revealed that they help prevent calcium oxalate kidney stone formation.
Being rich in phytosterols, they have been associated with reducing the levels of LDL cholesterol.
:D

Radiated

5 Year Member
Thanks
Do these things apply to tortoises aswell?
Does that mean i could feed it pumpkin seeds everyday?

Thanks

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
That is the nutritional value of the pumpkin and the benefits of the seeds.

As with everything else with regards to food offerings, and taking into account that this is an item that should be fed in moderation I would think that every day would be too much.....:D

I believe if you offer them pumpkin and the seeds (with the seeds being dried and ground into powder form for smaller torts---you do not want an impaction issue for a smaller to medium tort) and whole seeds for your large to xlarge tortoise once every week or two you should be aok :D

I personally would not feed more frequently than once a week and in moderation for the size of the tortoise you are offering to :D

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
The main benefit of pumpkin seeds is that they are thought to help fight, control, or prevent worms. There is no clinical evidence that they do this, although there are a lots of testimonials for it.

Because tortoises do not chew, you will need to crack or puree the seeds for them to work... if they do.

There is an article about this here: https://sites.google.com/site/tortoiselibrary/basic-medical-care/pumpkin-as-a-dewormer

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I like to offer pumpkin to aid in moving the poo through at a quicker rate....I know that there is no absolute proof that it aids in de worming, but my goal is to keep the poo moving....if a tortoise is poo'g each day then that allows less time for any parasites to gather and multiply as rapidly if they are moved out on a regular basis....this is just a belief of mine and as with the pumpkin seed de worming theory...one I can not provide proof of working either...but so far so good :D

Status
Not open for further replies.