Puerto Rico?

argus333

5 Year Member
Any one know what's up with keeping tortoises and lizards in puerto rico? I can't find any info, so I'm thinking is ok.... May move there in a few years and like to set up large breeding program. Thanks

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
I have have never been there, so I have no clue, but I bet the climate would be great for a lot of species!:)

The only things I would wonder about is available exotic veterinary care and hurricanes.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
At the TTPG meeting I spoke with an exotics vet from Puerto Rico. His view was not so upbeat and sunny. He said that economic pressure there was great and pretty much anything that can be stolen is.

USFWS and the USDA are the authorities there for regulating animals and movement. Much like Hawaii, animals that can be potential invasives are scrutinized, and not allowed. There was recently a island wide campiagn to destroy green iguanas as they has become so prevelent they were causing traffic problems near Santiago. Now on the west end of the island common boas are considered a nusiance. There are ferral monkies about as well.

Geography wise it's an excellent idea, and as you are more or less in the US, where the primary markets is, you are more or less dealing with inter-state commerce, yet again not quite.

I'd suggest if you are counting on making an actual tortoise facility you pencil out a feasability study, costs, laws as they are now, areas already immersed in agricluture (the south west portion of the island), and most importnat "attitude" to towards "foreign" in vestment.

If your just retiring there and you are considering a farm as a passive income that may or may not work, well then have fun.

And yeah I have strongly considered this and penciled my own study, it didn't fly for me.

argus333

5 Year Member
No one steals from us. Owned house in p.r for over 10 yrs. only had a bike stolen and that was in town. Very well protected. Vet is not really a problem as I handle most of that. Went to petco today saw leopard tortoises for sale chameleons and red foots. Direct delta flights to NYC daily so delta dash is no problem.