Proof that redfoot and yellowfoot live together?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Lots of people do it. Doesn't make it safe. Doesn't make it okay. Some people do it and get away with it with little or no issues, other people do it and all of them die. It's a gamble. It's a gamble I'm not willing to take or recommend.

tupacliveson16

5 Year Member
The Colony Texas!
Tom said:
Lots of people do it. Doesn't make it safe. Doesn't make it okay. Some people do it and get away with it with little or no issues, other people do it and all of them die. It's a gamble. It's a gamble I'm not willing to take or recommend.

I understand

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
In the wild they would come across eachother in the more forest regions of the red foots' area, however I would not mix not so much because of parasites but yellows are more omnivorous and need higher humidity than reds and the risk of hybridisation and difference in size.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Read this article. In some specific locations. Dendiculata does allocate their territories marked within close proximity. However when looking at it on a flat picture/map. The mind does n0t take into consideration the elevation changes, and ecosystems that each is found. For instance in Vargus PDF(attached) in Brazil and Guyana the northern region. It is indicated that dendiculata/carbonaria are starred right next to one another. But this doesnt mean they might cross paths. The eco systems in South/Central America can vary vastly really quick. Just off the slope a thick lush tropical rainforest with heavy amounts of rain, might literally stop just at the base and be a dry savanna with 1/4" of rain just feet away from it. You can over lay the maps if you want from the PDF and attached photo.

http://www.fundacionbiodiversa.org/pdf/Mario/Vargas_2010_Chelonoidis.pdf

Also here are some photos of Costa Rican climates I visited to portray how different it can be in a matter of seconds when driving by, or even walking through.
This was immediately in a less rainfall dryer more savanna type climate where redfoots would be found.

Less dense forest, completely different foliage.

And this is where you would find yellow foots. Very dense, very wet, moist, darker filtered light, with a completely different ecosystem of food, and habitat. Very close but yet very different. These ecosystems can literally change from one mountain or hill to the next in South America. I visited a park that was 5000 acres and it had 8 ecosystems, all were in the same chunk of territory but from one to the next it was a completely different everything. From plants, to insects, to animals that eat the plants/insects.
Look beyond the tree and imagine this in 1000s of acres where dendiculata would exist.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
This goes back to he whole leopard and sulcata tortoises able to live together cuz of the home ranges, not smart cuz of aggression too, separation is always the best, especially since a lot of tortoises are solitary, let alone wanting a friend they would never meet.

Kyle

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Although this is usually correct, in the case of carbonaria and denticulata they are often found in groups together.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
They might be found together but does not mean they arnt solitary animals. As far as I know they don't roam in beards like buffalo, they are still perfectly happy alone.

Heards*

EchoTheLeoTort

5 Year Member
United States
I think separation is always best. Take action before its to late in the case of finding someone who houses together. Parasites can be passed, aggression/bullying. different husbandry needs, etc. I don't recommend to anyone, but I also don't control anyone, anyone can do what they think is right or whatever their heart desires, but they won't get much comfort if they ignore the advice of many tfo members and both torts show up dead one day :/ We try to warn people the best we can.

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Millerlite said:
They might be found together but does not mean they arnt solitary animals. As far as I know they don't roam in beards like buffalo, they are still perfectly happy alone.

Heards*

This is a debate a few of us had a little while back. Most of us believed that in the wild reds are actually sociable tortoises that do travel in herds frequently.

tupacliveson16

5 Year Member
The Colony Texas!
I just believe it is possible. I am not saying i will mix them, but it's very interesting to see that it cab work out in positive ways. I haven't seen a negative outcome from mixing these two.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
I think the risk with keeping closely related species with similar distributions is not so much disease contamination, but rather hybridization. Redfoots and yellowfoots sometimes co-occur in nature, so they probably carry a lot of the same diseases. The problem, then, is that they might hybridize more often in captivity than they would in the wild. Ditto for other pairs of sister species from nearby areas (e.g. different types of hingebacks, eastern and western boxies, etc).

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
FLINTUS said:
Millerlite said:

Heards*

This is a debate a few of us had a little while back. Most of us believed that in the wild reds are actually sociable tortoises that do travel in herds frequently.

I think a of tortoise keeper think tortoises are social animals and need friends ;) lol but keep a Redfooted tortoise alone it's not going toger depressed and die, as far as people believing they travel in heards and groups in the wild very interesting any research done on it or is more of a "people think" they travel on groups and because they do well in captivity I. Groups it means yet are social. There a few species that do rather well in groups and even hang out with each other in captivity without any signs of aggression , would I go as far as sayin they are "group Toetoises" probably not.

Back to the subject. Like I've said before I know a handful of people that have kept tortoises for decades together of different species and haven't lost a tortoise, on the other hand, ive Had friends that lost groups do to a sick tortoise, I wouldn't try it , but it's possible def not impossible, tortoises are to resilient for it to be. Doesn't mean it's right,

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Millerlite said:
FLINTUS said:
Millerlite said:

Heards*

I think a of tortoise keeper think tortoises are social animals and need friends ;) lol but keep a Redfooted tortoise alone it's not going toger depressed and die, as far as people believing they travel in heards and groups in the wild very interesting any research done on it or is more of a "people think" they travel on groups and because they do well in captivity I. Groups it means yet are social. There a few species that do rather well in groups and even hang out with each other in captivity without any signs of aggression , would I go as far as sayin they are "group Toetoises" probably not.

Back to the subject. Like I've said before I know a handful of people that have kept tortoises for decades together of different species and haven't lost a tortoise, on the other hand, ive Had friends that lost groups do to a sick tortoise, I wouldn't try it , but it's possible def not impossible, tortoises are to resilient for it to be. Doesn't mean it's right,

Redfoots may be more gregarious than most other species of tortoise, but they are not the most gregarious, and they probably don't travel in herds. Rather than congregating for each other's company, wild redfoots probably aggregate around temporary resources, like fruiting trees.

porter

10 Year Member!
Redfoots are often found in groups in giant armadillo burrows, this has been documented. I think we're too new to keeping tortoises to say they can or can't do certain things. A classic example is that until recently we believed dessert dwelling tortoise needed very little humidity, how wrong were we there. So maybe reds do live with yellows or in groups. Only time will tell.

InvertaHerp

5 Year Member
A lot of people keep their redfoots and yellowfoots in herds. Not mixed however, but they probably encounter each other in the wild.

Status
Not open for further replies.