Prolapse Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

starpython

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NW Florida
For those of you that have been following my emergency post from Friday night here's the latest update.

My little redfoot had a penile prolapse that had to be amputated. After spending 2 nights with the vet he was able to come home today. He has a few stitches, but has been able to urinate and defecate like normal.
I've got him set up in a hospital enclosure that is completely dry and much smaller then he's used to so he can't move around too much. Doc said this was best because the moisture/humidity levels of his normal habitat could cause infection. He'll get a daily soak for the next week along with an antibiotic shot every three days. I'm a little nervous about the shots.
He seems stressed and confused. Since he's been home he finally settled down and has been basking under the CHE for several hours. He ate a little mazuri which is also good.
He's got a bit of recovery time ahead, but I'm hopeful he'll pull through. He's a tough and super stubborn little tort.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sounds like things are going in the right direction. Good job getting him the help he needed so quickly. Great tort parent:)

SmileyKylie623

5 Year Member
Phoenix, Arizona
starpython said:
For those of you that have been following my emergency post from Friday night here's the latest update.

My little redfoot had a penile prolapse that had to be amputated. After spending 2 nights with the vet he was able to come home today. He has a few stitches, but has been able to urinate and defecate like normal.
I've got him set up in a hospital enclosure that is completely dry and much smaller then he's used to so he can't move around too much. Doc said this was best because the moisture/humidity levels of his normal habitat could cause infection. He'll get a daily soak for the next week along with an antibiotic shot every three days. I'm a little nervous about the shots.
He seems stressed and confused. Since he's been home he finally settled down and has been basking under the CHE for several hours. He ate a little mazuri which is also good.
He's got a bit of recovery time ahead, but I'm hopeful he'll pull through. He's a tough and super stubborn little tort.
Poor thing! They had to amputate his penis?! Good to hear that he is getting better!!!:tort:

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
He seems stressed and confused.

Uh, I had a penis and now, well, something feels like it is missing? Yes, stress and confusion is absolutely called for...eating is a fantastic thing and showing that he is performing essential functions...good

Torts4Life!

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
I wish your tort and yourself the best recovery time imaginable!! I'm sure it's been extremely stressful but you two made it through the worst part. Good luck with his healing and he's very lucky to have you has his tort parent!! :)

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I agree.....he is lucky to have you!!! :)
Best of luck to you both!!

starpython

5 Year Member
NW Florida
Here's the latest update.
He's been home for almost a week now. The first three days he was eating like a champ. He's had about 8-9 mazuri pellets and some banana. By day four he's wiggling his tail like he does when he's trying to take a poo. So for two days now he's wiggling and pushing and getting super frustrating that nothing is happening. I'm worried now that he's got a blockage. He hasn't eaten for two days now. He's not sleeping much either.
Any suggestions on how I can further help him?

Status
Not open for further replies.